Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

who asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 months ago

healing brittle hair from an eating disorder I've had since 13?

So from the age of 13, I was limiting the number of carbs I had to something like 8 a day It started with just eating fiber one bars for every meal and just spiraled into flat out starving myself. Basically, I've had anorexia up until 15 when I just started binging and throwing up and I just went full on bulimic. (I didn't take any vitamins or supplements at the time) 

My mom told me I used to have extremely silky hair when I was little and I do vaguely remember that but I'm 23 now and it's extremely brittle. 

I'm still throwing but I take a lot of collagen and biotin daily and slowly trying to keep down my meal replacement shakes. Is there hope my hair will return to being silky if I keep up my progress? (I use a lot of Korean ginseng shampoo too but it doesn't help)Should I just shave my head so all the brittle hair is gone and new hair can grow?

Eat good now and mostly organic.

i would ask your doctor about it

• ?

You can't heal your hair until you heal your eating disorder.  I hope you are seeing both a doctor and a therapist in order to do that.

Once your disorder is gone, new growth should be healthy, but the hair you already have is dead, and nothing you do will fix it. That's true of everyone.  Shampoos and conditioners cannot repair damaged hair, though they can smooth the cuticle temporarily. Taking vitamins won't affect your damaged hair either, only regrowth and only after your eating disorder is gone.

We all have silky hair as children. That texture doesn't last even in the healthiest of us.

ask your doctor to help you with that