Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Is there a statue of limitations on attempted murder ?

So my uncle was shot in the neck about 15-18 years ago, he almost died, thought it was a random attack. Once he got better, he was traumatized and fled back to Mexico with my grandma. 

My mom just found out last week that he was set up by his baby’s mother’s cousin. He paid a couple guys to kill my uncle and fled to Tennessee after he was confronted a week after it happened by the baby mother (it was going around in their work area that he did it). 

When he was confronted he was shaking really bad and did not deny it, that’s when he left to Tennessee. We can find him because he is well known by his family here (Florida) they have his name and everything.

I wanna press charges and go after him. But my uncle is not in the country anymore and it has been many years. 

I want to know if I can still go after him? 

Please and Thank you. 

Favorite Answer

Sure you can.  Anyone can report a suspected crime at any time -- not just "the victim", as some other answer stated. The police should investigate further, if it's a serious crime and the report appears to have any sort of basis in fact (even gossip may have a nugget of truth).  Expiration of any statute of limitations would have to proven as an affirmative defense, if it comes to that.  In many states the time a suspect spends outside of the jurisdiction doesn't count, so it may run much longer than you think.

It's not clear what state the crime occurred, but you can look up their criminal laws and procedures to find out more about what might apply wherever it is.  In Florida, for example, there is a 10-year limitation on charging a felony with a firearm that resulted in injury and it can be suspended ("tolled") for up to 3 more years, if the suspect has been continually absent from the state.

state law controls.  ask a local attorney

You can't press charges. Not how it works.  You can report your information to police.  All you have is a guy who didn't deny something. No real evidence. Police can investigate if they choose to (my guess is they will not).

• xyzzy

You did not say where this happened and that would make a difference in the statute of limitation. Like in Georgia Criminal Statute of Limitations Laws Code sections 17-3-1 to 17-3-3 sets the term at 7 years. Then there is the problem that you have no standing and apparently no evidence simply rumors.

• Bruce

There is nothing you can do. Your uncle would have to file a report in the jurisdiction where it occurred. What happens next depends on the evidence. Someone telling your mom, your mom telling you, and you telling the police is not evidence, it is inadmissible hearsay. 

You can bring the crime to the attention of the district attorney but if you don't bring some evidence of the crime with you, it will be ignored.  Based upon your story you only have accusation and very old gossip, not evidence.

It's STATUTE, LEGAL STATUTE, not statue.  You can't press charges.  Only the DA can press charges.  You can't file a Police Report.  Only the victim can do that.  YOU have NO legal standing, and you never will.  The STATUTE is immaterial.

Source(s): education/experience

It varies by state.  Google knows what it is for your state.

statue or statute? two totally different things