Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 2 months ago

Did police handle this correctly? (Kansas)?

This is an issue that happened over the summer and I’m still curious about if this they handled it was ethical.The police were called to my grandpas home where I lived on a domestic disturbance call.We were verbally fighting that’s why he called.When the operator asked my grandpa if I was violent he responded with, No, there is no violence. The first set of officers arrived and entered our living room where my grandpa and I were standing. They asked for our names. While telling them, I went to put a jacket that was already in my hand, down so I didn’t have to hold it anymore. Officer 1 then grabbed my arm quite hard and I pulled back, staying where I was standing,and said “you don’t need to touch me” he then proceeded to try and tackle me. I pulled out my phone to try and record it and he slapped it away, I picked it up to try and record again and he slapped it away again and tackled me onto the floor, then I had both officers on me trying to get my hands behind my back not telling me I’m under arrest. At this point I believe I haven’t done anything wrong, they haven’t told me I’m under arrest, and the fact that it was a civil issue and they didn’t have authority to do anything, you’d think that would matter. Also, the ONLY information the police have it this point is that we were arguing, I wasn’t violent, and our names. Yet I’m be tackled by 3-5 officers.they dragged me out to my yard where they continued to restrain me in a straight jacket. I was charged with 3misd.1felony

There is always more to the story.  I think you are telling your version to make yourself sound like the victim.

• donnie

Well if the story is how you're telling it then no. But did you fight the officers? 

One of the problems with US policing is that it's not uniform across the land. Where I live you could have shot your grandpa ten times without a silencer and the police would have taken four hours to get there. There's a happy medium somewhere between these two responses, but we haven't gotten there yet. 

Has to be American cops. They are a rabid crazed pack. 

I don't know.  I wasn't there.  This, however, has never happened to me.

The police officer didn't know whether you had a gun hidden underneath or in your jacket.   How did you expect them to react?   There's more to this story.   Let's hear it.

I don't think the circumstances were as innocent as you're saying, considering police were called.  No cop is going to just randomly go up to you and tackle you for nothing.  Also, it's worth noting that in Kentucky, the abused does not have to agree with charges being filed against the abuser, unlike some states.  That means that if the police have evidence and reasonable suspicion that you did what you are accused of, they can still decide to charge you, regardless of the victim's opinion.  Based on your circumstances, I don't feel like they handled it wrong.  Reaching for objects during an arrest attempt is considered resisting.  If police had to stop arresting someone just because they grabbed their phone, it would undermine the entire point of having police, and why they're there in the first place.  

i dont think so

YOU messed up and you KNOW you did.

When interacting with police in the performance of there job, you do NOTHING without their approval BEFORE you do it.

Note: The bruises in the photos WERE NOT caused by what you claim happened.