Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Will Cannabis be decriminalize\legalised for recreational use in our lifetime?

I mean in general, in most places, not just the ultra-liberal, middle-of-nowhere Amsterdam cafes.

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Not anytime soon, at least not in the USA or other countries that remain bound to the various international drug-interdiction treaties.  It is not legal anywhere in the USA, at this point.

It's disconcerting that anyone says "it's legal in some US states", when that it absolutely false.  It is not legal anywhere in the USA to possess any amount of any part of any Cannabis plant without a DEA research license. There is no possible way any STATE can declare something "legal" for which the federal government has jurisdiction to arrest anyone for possessing it.

The US government is restricted by one or more international treaties that require there to be federal criminal laws that punish possession,  not to mention trafficking.

Until the US, as a country, grows tired of participating in worldwide drug interdiction policies, it will remain a member of the treaties and cannot legally repeal its federal laws on the subject.

One further point for people unclear on the concept of federal and state laws: what if you live in a state that repeals all of its criminal laws about copyright infringement? Does that mean nobody can sue you or file a criminal complaint for federal copyright infringement by going to the feds in your state? No. No, it does not mean that. Federal laws apply EVERYWHERE that the US courts have jurisdiction. 

Bottom line, just because some US states repeal their own foolish laws about Cannabis doesn't affect the right of the federal police agencies to arrest anyone caught violating the federal laws anywhere in such a state.

Source(s): Schedule I drugs, like heroin, LSD, Cannabis: illegal to possess in the USA.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

You don't say where you live, but half or more of the US states have stopped prosecuting users. Eventually fhe Feds will legalize it at the national level. That's how Prohibition ended.

• 2 months ago

In the US, probably never, at least not in your lifetime.  Your country isn't exactly quick to catch up.  Hell, you're one of three countries still officially using the imperial system, and the other two are Liberia and Myanmar.

If you want to get high legally, you'll have to move to Canada.  The stuff was legalized by our prime minister (Justin Kardashian) in 2018, and it was the biggest non-event that ever happened.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Already is.

Also pot isn't exactly a "ultra liberal" thing. Until the war on drugs relatively recently it was commonly consumed along with alcohol of people of all political affiliations. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Maybe decriminalized, But  I am against legalization.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I don't think so, but don't think it is necessarily required.  I think the legalization/decriminalization will resemble how gambling exists.  It will spread out enough to effect most, but those who live where it is illegal, won't have to go far to find it legal.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

My husband owned a cafe in Amsterdam, the police used to say to him "it's not legal, it's tolerated." But I hope it will be legalized.

• 2 months ago

WHERE?

In several countries, and many US states, it already has been.

• 2 months ago

Marijuana is only fully illegal in 6 US states (ID WY, KS, TN, AL, SC) in every other state it ranges from decriminalized to fully recreationally legal (in between is medicinally legalized and recreational is decriminalized).

• 2 months ago

There's a HUGE gap between decriminalized and legal.

It's NOT really legal if the Govt set itself up as the only seller.

IMO, legal means NO RESTRICTIONS.  People would be free to grow their own for personal use just like they grow vegetables in their garden.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

a number of states have recreational use . NJ just legalized . 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.