cj asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

Were slave owners evil human beings?

Favorite Answer

Slave traders were worse. But yes, some owners were very bad. Owning humans is always wrong, but I guess there were also owners who tried to treat their slaves in a good way, but mostly for selfish reasons like keeping their slaves in line, less risk of revolt. Some owners may have bought their slaves to keep them out of the hands of ruthless traders

They varied.  Some were better than others.  Some were cruel.  But generally they lived in societies where slavery was normal, so they would not have considered themselves evil.  We now consider slavery to be wrong, but expecting societies of the past to share our modern sensibilities is unrealistic.  

• garry

whose worse the slave owners our the blacks who them to the slave traders , yes tere where black slave traders and arab slave traders too . after all you have looked into it troll .

• Ronald

Of course, they were, but their deeds were inhuman. 

Yes, they could have been. But please do not forget: the slave-owning was just one bad aspect and humans have different sides of their personalities. And it also depended on how the individual treated his slaves. Furthermore, slavery was very common then worldwide.

Well I have staff working for me, doing all of the things I need, because I have an illness (autism).  So I suppose I am their master!!!

I am NOT evil, I need help.

Not necessarily.

Many slave owners cared for their slaves as if they were grown-up children. OK, that was, in a way, condescending of them. But it wasn't "evil".

Only immature and ignorant people with no knowledge of the world and of human nature think it's OK to judge people who lived long ago by the standards of human conduct that we consider moral now.

No, some of them were but certainly not all of them. Thomas Jefferson took a slave to France with him and paid for him to be trained to be a French Chef. Then when Jefferson went back to America he granted the slave freedom and offered him a position as White House Chef when he became President. @ armouror, all the Northern states passed laws that immediately or gradually freed their slaves long before the 13th Amendment was adopted, and long before the Civil War began. And Grant freed the only slave he owned in 1859.

Information the 13 Amendment released all 900,000 slaves in the Union states your Cooks, chauffeur, Groomsmen were all slaves

so are you saying everyone in the USA was Evil if so  i Agree with you

Thumbs down don't Know American History Congress had to tell Grant to release his slaves 12 months after the war

It's foolish to attempt to judge people who lived 150 years ago or more by our modern standards. Imagine what people living in 2170 A.D. will say about the morals we exhibited in our lifetime. If you were born into a society where chattel slavery was the norm, then any moral objection to the practice would have to be formed later in life. And many people died convinced that there was nothing inherently immoral in the institution of slavery. If it was discovered tomorrow that a person had been keeping other human beings as slaves, then I would consider that person to be evil, yes. But as far as people living six generations ago are concerned, I don't think it's fair for me to judge people who existed during an era where things are so different from the way they are now so as to be essentially unrecognizable.  

That's on a case by case basis.