?
? asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Why are criminals in prison allowed three meals a day, when there are innocent people on the street being forced to starve?

It seems like a pretty broken part of our society that guilty people are rewarded with free food and cable TV, while innocent people who got unlucky are forced to live out on the street! What is the reason for this? Is our society really so corrupt?

Favorite Answer

You could abolish the police and close all prisons so you wouldn't have to feed them. I'm sure they would not object.

I defy anyone to eat the meals in prison for 2 weeks. At best, they are calories, and that is it. The average homeless person gets a better meal from shelters. We were fed stuff that did not even qualify as animal food and cost less than $1.10 per day per person, including the salaries of the officers that had to supervise the kitchen. the only way we get anything almost decent is if we pay for it on our own.

Thankfully I had some family that sent me a few dollars a month, so I could have ramen noodles once in a while ($2.45 a package in the canteen, where you pay $0.25 in the store).And cable tv? ha. any "corrections officer" can order the tv turned off for any reason, including for his wife yelling at him. The few guys who have their own tv paid for it on their own. and cable is provided at about 7 times what you pay.what is broken is that the prisons are not interested in anything more than making profit. 

It is called duty or care. Trust me the meals are not that great. 

If you're going to imprison a person then you have to feed them. Personally I think that people that are going to be arrested for a crime they need to stop allowing themselves to be taken into custody fight to the death you're going to get locked up in a cage fight!

I think our society is broken; I think your statement is foolish and ill informed.  I am POSITIVE there are people "in prison" who would prefer to be homeless.  But then it comes down to this - what do YOU do to help the street people?  I volunteer at a shelter, serving dinner.  What do YOU do - other than posting on Yahoo?