Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Does anyone know the liklihood of contracting Covid 19 from a stray kitten?

I am thinking about fostering a kitten, or a cat but I have no idea how safe these shelters have been or what has happened to the cat before in some cases. I won't really get to pick and choose what cat I am going to foster, so this is a concern. I read that cats can spread Covid 19 to each other but it's rare that they can spread it to a human but not impossible. The CDC just says that it's not likely however this issue is not " well researched " which doesn't exactly make me feel any better..

To the first poster, did you mean my chances of getting covid from an animal at a shelter is extremely low? You said it was extremely high in your post...

• TK

Your risk is so far less than 1% that the zeroes are staggering.  Your risk of contracting a flesh eating bacteria is greater. 

The likelihood of an animal from the shelter passing the COVID virus onto you would be pretty high.   I couldn’t even say an exact number but when you think about the cats having to go through quarantine first and intake etc, the shelters on the average keep the animals 2 weeks before they are ready to go out for fostering or adoption.  With few exceptions the average shelter takes in a stray, it gets quarantined and held 7 to 20 days (depends on what shelter, what state, what local laws are etc) to wait for an owner to claim them etc, then the cats get their shots or surgeries and recover 3 days to 10 days before they go out to the public. They want to be sure the pets ready to go and is healthy.

With the awareness of the COVID the vets do watch for an animal that are out of sorts, running a temp or symptomatic.  So far the majority of cats that have tested positive have been exposed directly to someone that has been positive with the active virus.  Positive cats that have been exposed can pass it to other cats etc but there’s a very low chance.   Cats that have not been exposed or carry the virus cannot pass the virus to anyone else.

They do recommend you quarantine your pets to keep their risk of exposure down, no public parks, not with other animals that may be infected.  By quarantine they mean keep at home, away from infected people etc.The likelihood of an animal from the shelter passing the COVID virus is not impossible but would be pretty unlikely.  If your that worried you can talk to someone in adoption or fostering program and ask them how many cats they have that have been exposed and tested positive for it. 

The cat would have to be exposed to another cat or human that was positive for it, then in turn possibly become a carrier/transmitter of the virus.  

The cat would have to be exposed to another cat/animal  or human that was positive for it, then in turn possibly become a carrier/transmitter of the virus.As for newborn kittens, they would have to be from a positive momma cat in order to be carrying the virus, since they are still nursing from mom (the ones that need temp fostering families)

All I would say is talk to that shelter or whomever about fostering or adoption then if you do decide to get an animal don’t put it up in to your face for the first two weeks, if by then they are not showing virus symptoms they should’ve safe to be around. By then they have been away from a positive exposure for at least 4 weeks.  Once an animal or human is exposed to someone that’s contaminated, they only have a limited amount of time to come down with the illness (incubation period). They are not able to pass the virus on once the incubation period has passed.

• PR

I heard that cats have a different form of Covid, and cats have suffered from Covid for many years and been human companions all that time without causing issues. If you still have questions, consult with your physician. They would have the best information.