Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Am I too protective of my mom?

My mom and me are very very close (I'm her 18 year old son). Whenever someone is around her, I make sure they are respectful and treat her right. A few months ago there was a creep over our house trying to flirt with her... I wasn't taking it... I made sure he left her alone, to say the least.

She always tells me she appreciates me, and she loves me.. but could I be overprotective?

You're dangerously close to "white knighting" on this. Your mother raised you from a baby so surely she's not as incompetent as you seem to believe she is now. Surely if there was a "creep" in your house it's someone she allowed to be there. Maybe step back a few and recognize that Mom is more capable of defending herself than you've allowed yourself to believe. 

No you arent. If you were preventing her from dating people or living her life then that's a different story

While your intentions are good ones, its not your "job" to protect your mother against people she chooses to associate with, nor your business.  You can discuss it with her, express your concerns, but its your mother's dumb choices and she's entitled to make them without interference from you. This applies unless your mother is mentally ill, retarded, or otherwise incapacitated and needs supervision. And then, it may not be needed to come from you, but from professionals such as her doctor or a counselor. 

i dont think so

Assuming your mother has some type of problem which makes her unable to protect or defend herself, no, you are not overly protective, "to say the least."  Under those circumstances she needs you to help her walk through her life.

No, it’s good that you are protective over her.

I did just the same when my nan was still around, I would fight my cousins and everybody that bothered her. She always sent signals to me like complaining out loud so that I can hear it, and often I’d come and shoo away whoever was bothering her. And I know she loved when I did that .. standing up for someone who u think don’t have the power to stand up for themselves is always good

You are doing very good and should learn more as you go along at least stay the course unless you find out your wrong and always respect what your mom has to say about you protecting her.