Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 month ago

Can opening a freezer for 5-10 seconds damage it?

My dad believes that if I open the freezer for 5-10s its going to damage the freezer and increase the monthly bill, I cant even look into the freezer  to take something out before they go crazy to shut it? 

Thoughts , 10s? Is this true??

Your dad sounds like a moron

Complete BS. He was either scolded as a kid for "freezer peeping" or just repeating something he heard. 

• kswck2

Of course not. If true, why even Have a freezer? 

It may raise your bill, but that's all. 

True! If you open it frequently and leave it open for long time, the food may thaw and give you problems. But not for a few seconds

Sounds like ocd sh it. Not going  to damage sh it. That’s like saying if you go over a bump in your car it will ruin your suspension. Machinery, appliances, automobiles all these things are designed with tolerances.Also Not likely to increase electric bill because unlikely thermostat would kick in and activate compressor if you have it open for 10 seconds or less. I don’t have time right now but you should Google it, then you would have some proof to show your father. Like I said it just seems like OCD sh it to me. And the reason I know that is because I’ve been there myself. When the anxiety level gets high, the OCD kicks in, and then the craziness starts.

It is not that fragile certainly. It will be an air exchange between inside and outside the freezer. It causes disturbance to an inner temperature which needs to start on the cooling system to adjust and replenish the temperature. It's not a big deal for the short term but It will be accumulated to cost more energy-consuming and finally reduce the freezer's life-span. So it's a good habit to close the door rapidly after you have taken sth. out. But it's not crucial at all.

NOPE, all lies.

No, not at all. 

If freezers weren't MEANT to be opened, they would be locked boxes. Of course it doesn't DAMAGE the freezer. It's supposed to be opened and closed. Isn't that a no-brainer?

If you leave the door open ALL THE TIME, it will simply defrost. All that will damage will be your food. 

Not true. 

Opening and closing the freezer door does no more harm than opening the refrigerator door.  If the freezer can not hold the correct temperature for 10 seconds you really should get another. 

That said...If you are living in your parents house and if dad does not want you opening the freezer door then don't. (truly I want to know how you get anything into the freezer or take anything out though) Age old phrase but..."His house his rules" 

If you want a frozen pizza or ground beef to make something ask him to get it for you. 

On the other hand if you stand in front of the open freezer door for half an hour going through the contents to find something or to get an idea what to cook he might have a point about increasing the monthly bill. But it would not damage the freezer, thawing and refreezing items in the freezer would damage food not the freezer itself.