Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 2 months ago

Could I have two display drivers?

I installed Windows 10 on an 11 year old PC. You Tube videos were laggy. The display driver was Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset Family. I rolled it back to Basic Display Adapter. You Tube videos now play well, but games are blocky. Could I reinstall the Intel adapter, but keep the Basic adapter and use them for different applications?

Disabling Hardware Acceleration made no difference. This PC doesn't have HA.

Reinstalling the driver also made no difference.

There's no easy way to switch between drivers like that; drivers are meant to have exclusive control of a device, and only load and unload when the operating system boots and shuts down. In the old days, you actually had to restart Windows to remove a driver or install a new one.

A better idea would be to figure out why YouTube videos are laggy with the Intel driver but not the generic one. Try disabling hardware acceleration in your browser. For Chrome, you can find that at chrome://settings/system

No, you can't have both.  The basic display adaptor driver is for the 1980's VGA graphics card that modern cards emulate, which has no hardware acceleration and a maximum resolution of 640x480.  Your Intel GMA graphics is very weak but it's still far more capable than a VGA adaptor, so try reinstalling its driver.  Just running Windows Update is likely to reinstall it.