? asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 2 months ago

Will an automatic boat bilge pump work to pump drain water out of a portable camper shower?

I'm building a cheap portable shower with a kids swimming pool, I think it's 4' x 4' and 12" deep.  I just need a way to hang some shower curtains and I have a portable shower spray.  I need some sort of pump to keep the swimming pool from filling with water while I'm trying to shower.

The plans show a 115 volt transfer pump, but I don't think it would be a good idea, get a little water on the pump and zap!  I'm thinking 12 volt will be safer because I'll be pumping water out while I'm standing in the water.  Due to my situation, I'll need a pump with about 4 to 5 feet of lift otherwise I'll be standing in a pool of water while I'm showering.  

Would a different type of water pump work better?  I have deep cycle 12 volt batteries, solar panels to keep them charged and a gasoline generator if necessary.  Where the camper is parked, I do have access to AC household 110/115 volt current.

• ?

That'll work, but it'll never get that last 1/4 - 1/2" of water out.  You'll really want some kind of a sump for it to sit in.

• ?

Don't see why it would not work if you get one with enough flow and lift.