Beginner tips. Painting my living room for the first time! ?

Im going to paint my living room for the first time what are some tips and tricks any experts recommend. So far I’ve started filling holes and cracks with filler. But any help is greatly appreciated!! 

Good home renovation services https://ldesign.studio/

This is all shown on YouTube...and is in the Building supply stores in their free pamphlets. Just follow that and you are in fairly good shape.  Much common sense has to be used. Never climb a shaky stepladder when drunk, never cut in when stoned. Never paint at night. Sunlight always beats the best you can get on incandescent lighting...especially if you have window light.  

• ?

Can’t be bothered to give you A-Z but top tip. Don’t buy cheap paint. You’ll have to do more coats, so won’t save money and it will take more effort.

After filling the holes and wall imperfections, sand them and check to see if a second coat is needed. The walls must be dust free and please use drop cloths on the furniture and floors. If painting a ceiling, put a plastic bag over the ceiling light fixture or fan if you have them. If tape helps, use the green Frog Painters Tape to help you keep paint where you want it.

You must PRIME the areas you filled and sanded. Otherwise the wall paint will absorb differently in those areas than the rest of the walls and they will be very noticeable and ugly.

Cut in all areas around windows and openings with a trim brush (has a slanted end), and where the wall meets the ceiling and above the baseboards...with two coats. 

Then, the walls are ready to be rolled with paint after the cutting in paint dries. Roll the roller into the paint in a 1/3rd filled painting tray, remove excess paint by rolling it off in the bumpy area of the tray. Starting at ceiling height, paint the walls in a 3' x 3' section at a time. Then load the roller with more paint and continue rolling to meet the baseboard. Repeat the process until you finish one wall at a time. For places where the wall may not be as wide as a roller, like between a window or door to the wall, use a paintbrush in those areas.

If you are painting the trim too, paint that first. It is easier to cut in wall paint after trim has been painter than vice versa. But, do expect to do some touch up on the trim work for splattered or misguided wall paint on the trim.

If you cannot complete all the painting on the same day, here is a painting hack I learned from a pro...put your wet paint brush in plastic wrap or a plastic bag and put in your refrigerator as it WILL NOT dry out..same with the paint roller, wrapped in plastic AND the whole paint tray--that can go in a plastic bag in the fridge as well. I promise you, it works and beats cleaning everything, just to paint in another day or two. Really. 

Just give yourself time to do the job and don't stress on an unrealistic time line. You can do this.

Oh, forget about Walmart paint. It sucks.

Filing the holes and cracks is a great start. It always helps to make a better overall appearance afterwards.

Don't skip the prep.   It takes longer than the actual painting, but you'll get a much better result.

Make sure you wash the walls.    Tape off areas you don't want painted.  Make sure you have good quality brushes and rollers in the sizes you need.   Buy good quality paint.  

• ?

More work, but better results: remove all molding, wall plates, drop down / remove light fixtures, cords, maybe the curtain rods, etc.  Wash walls and ceiling well with TSP (which no longer has any "T" in it). Mix portions of 3 or 4 cans of paint into 1 bucket to minimize color changes.  You may need 2 coats if covering a deep color. Buy beer and pizza and invite your friends over (for appreciated help - get it?)

I watched this video from a Canadian guy who does great content on home improvement.

“Paint Like a Pro series A to Z”

Five million views can’t be wrong.  I learned a lot.

Buy paint that blends in well, so when you start painting where you left off, there won't be two different shades of the same color. I haven't painted in ages, but I found Glidden paint blends well, at least it did the last time I painted.