Steven
Steven asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 2 months ago

Is it racism or white supremacism to insist that a multi-linguist making an effort to speak the lingua-franca, do so in perfect English?

Let's be honest now, the typical Brit or US citizen is amongst the most illiterate in the world with a barely vocational education in linguistics when it comes to communicating.

However i notice that it is mostly the people from non-English speaking countries that make the effort to communicate with English speaking people, whilst those from English speaking countries, generally make no effort whatsoever to communicate with those not from an English speaking country, but yet, they take a superior stance and insist that "multi-linguists" that usually have a grasp on English, and Arabic, aswell as a 100% grasp on their own language, learn to use English properly.

Is it racism? white supremacy? or just snobbery? or, even ignorance?

What description could accurately define this?

(and please don't go through my post pointing out typos or grammatical errors).

I think those making an effort, need to be encouraged more, rather than discouraged?

The internet is also worldwide.

Why must people on the internet automatically conform to English?

• KennyB
    Favorite Answer

Of the choices you offer, I suggest that it is, indeed, snobbery.

The world is free to not speak English.  No one makes them do it.  They just do and they will never stop.   Most of them call it American -  not English.  The day you see a bunch of Chinese or African oil workers speaking English and cussing with a Texas accent, you will understand how out of touch you are.  If you ever wish to hear perfect English, go to Norway - not England. America has thirty some regional accents and various sub-forms like TexMex and Cajun.  btw You are also free to leave the place you hate and never come back.  Please do.

Racism or White supremacy implies that White people are only native English speakers of European descent. Not all White people are native English speakers. In fact, most are not. 

I also disagree that average US citizens are illiterate. I am European, and have lived in the US for the past 5 years. The average person I speak to is very well spoken and literate. I agree that the average English person, not Scottish or Welsh, is incredibly illiterate and can barely speak properly. Americans usually never make any comments on your language ability. I have an accent, and nobody has ever said anything. English other other hand.. are just ferocious and ruthless. Two very different cultures indeed. 

• Marli

If you wish to communicate with Arabs, you learn the major Arabic language of that area.

If you wish to communicate with the French, you learn to speak good French.

If you wish to communicate with English speakers, you learn to speak good English.

The internet carries sites in many languages. I don't expect English everywhere, but I do expect good English on websites by and for English speakers. I expect the folks on a French or German discussion site to insist that I gain a better grasp of French or German in order to participate.  Why should they guess at what I attempt to say?  As for Arabic or Chinese, I don't try because I can't puzzle out even their "alphabets".  So why should I guess at poorly written English?

Actually, it's not the foreign born in my country I complain about. They do learn English, and if they struggle at it, I don't blame them. It's a polyglot language with all sorts of exceptions to the rules.  I'm just as frustrated struggling to learn theirs, and I am not thrown into the middle of a foreign environment and told to swim.  I complain about those people who have learned correct English in elementary school but won't write it.

The Oracle of Wikipedia says no. And it's never wrong. All hail Wikipedia!

"Why must people on the internet automatically conform to English?"

They don't, look at your beloved wikipedia it comes in a variety of languages – many of them spoken by white people.

However if they are trying to communicate with the Anglosphere it is more productive to ask the question in a plain manner rather than sesquipedalian flights of fantasy.

• People should not allow themselves to be sloppy. They should learn proper English or whatever language they must learn in whatever country they must live. 

It’s self respect to do so. 

Language doesn’t equal superior in anyway shape or form z

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,