Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

Could somebody please tell me what's wrong with my car? Overheated again after getting it fixed?

So about a month ago I noticed my car constantly kept overheating after driving it for a few minutes. I took it to a shop and got it fixed. The car's been working fine for the past few weeks with no overheating issues, so I assumed it was fixed.

All that changed tonight. I had my car idling in a parking lot and turned the heat on. I quickly noticed it was blowing cold air (a problem I didn't have before). And then a few seconds later I saw the heat gauge start to go up again. So I turned off my car for a few minutes to let things cool down. When I restarted it, everything was fine and I was able to drive home. I tried to see if the problem would reoccur at my house by having the car idle for 10 mins with the heat on. But no such luck. I am so confused. Any idea what's going on??

If it got fixed, then it shouldn't overheat again...

Car?  Make? Yr? Model? Do you use straight water or coolant?  It matters. Do you tailgate? Why idle for 10 minutes?  That wastes gas and car overheats...you might have noticed.  See a mechanic who can see your car to fix it.  That is what I do.

A demonic spirit is messing with your automobile.

#1. When the engine is cold, is the *radiator filled to the top with a factory recommended 50/50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water? #2. Is the plastic coolant recovery reservoir filled to the full line? #3. Do the radiator cooling fans switch on when the dash temperature edges past the normal line. #4. Is the weep-hole in the bottom of the water pump housing leaking? Antifreeze will clearly leave a wet path downward from the weep-hole if the water-pump leaking. #5. Are either of the heater or radiator hoses leaking? #6. If the radiator and coolant recovery tank are filled to the full line either the heater core is plugged or heater switch on your dash is defective.

What did they DO when they fixed it the first time?

More to me, it sounds like you have a coolant leak. When the engine is stone cold, look in the radiator. Refill it if low. It should be full when cold. The mechanic did something, but he didn't fix the real problem. Go to another mechanic who can pressure test the cooling system, find the leak and repair that. There are several possibilities.

If you didn't have any heat and still do not have heat when the cars engine is warm you likely have a bad heater core. One tell tale sign of this will be water in the passenger side floorboard. Or you could also have a defective heater hose, which connects to the heater core, but may be leaking before the water makes it inside the heater core.

Find out if the thermostat was replaced and get the electric radiator fans checked to make sure they come on while idling a long time.

The fact that you don't think it necessary to tell us what was previously repaired ("fixed") indicates that the problem isn't only with the car.  So get it fixed.

Well first off, running the heater actually cools down the car, because it takes that heat from the coolant.