Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

How much should I sell this car for?

I have a 2 door Oldsmobile alero. It’s got some chipped paint on the back and some rust no dents. It could use a change in tires before the winter no leaks I recently got the intake manifold replaced, piping in the antifreeze system, a new catalytic converter, and a few other engine fixes. I also recently replaced all 4 brake pads. It runs good id take it on the highway no problem it’s got 160k miles on it. It could use a realignment and new rotors. No leaks. Passenger power window doesn’t work, driver side does. Good audio system. Hot heat and cold ac. Interior isn’t bad but could use a detail. 

800$ will be perfect

$900 if you're very lucky.

whatever the buyer will pay

What model year is it ? They made them from 99 to 04. And, even an 04 is now a 16 year old car, so it's worth very, very little.

I would ask $1500 and take the first offer over $1000

Anything over $1200 is generous, so what I'd be looking at is your replacement cost to get a different car instead of putting in a bit more work on the Olds. Not that it's an amazing car, just that you put in xxxx money into it and you won't really get that back when you sell it. The window probably needs to be put back on the track, not a huge deal, worst case is the cable follower(s) broke, which needs more in-depth repair. New rotors aren't expensive, but you probably should have swapped them with the pads or just wait till next time doing brakes. 160K isn't bad for mileage if you serviced the transmission once or twice. Steering racks go bad in many GM cars early, just something to be aware of. So, if you think it's fairly well cared for it's your winter car or a 1st car for kid/niece/nephew. 

If you don't want/need it, then yeah, $1200, and sinking more into it is a decreasing return on investment situation if you have to pay someone for the work done, if you can weekend it with a buddy and a 6 pack, then doing the window and rotors might be ok. Rust is going to kill any good price, more so in some sections of the country. I live where common rust issues that are seen in Illinois, Pennsylvania, and Ohio just don't happen with "newer" cars, so I'd ding rust on a car (depending on where it was) pretty severely. 

• Scott

About 1,900 dollars.       

• Rick

IF you don't really need the money, keep it cheap and avoid the hassles ..............