why is there a high screeching noise from my engine?

I drive a 96 honda civic. recently every time I start my car I hear a high screeching noise for a few seconds...I dont know what the cause of it. I check my belts they are all fine. I also spray belt dressing on but no help. the only time it screech is when you first start the car. after that it goes away. until you try to start it again? please help me with this problem

Favorite Answer

Remove the belts and spin all the accessory pullies to make sure there is no bearing drag. Bear in mind the alternator has a lot of resistance when the engine is first started as it is trying to recharge the battery.

• hart

starter solenoid need to be cleaned

or replaced

New belt time. Sorry:

@Barry : Sez the guy who "thinks" an ammeter "measures speed of electricity". No,  Einstein. It measures  Amount  Of electrons flowing per Second. They usually travel about 60,000 miles per second in a conductor. . Slowed down by resistance.

(the speed of light, c, only applies to light., or elections moving at a very hi speed  in a vacuum,. Electrons  accelerated to 75,000 volts in vacuum  move at 1/2 c. It's Voltage that determines" speed". not Amount of electrons. )

It IS true that high loads on an alternator/generator cause more belt drag. The back EMF of the stator  windings. Where do you THINK that 40 amps or so to charge battery Comes from? Its just for that reason I didn't put a 60 A on my old Chevy--they cause engine to use More Fuel than stock 40A. My 5 year old car  has a 100-Amp Alt...whew...

• fuzzy

New belt needed if it's been slipping for a while.bCheck that the back of the new belt sits above the pulley flanges. If it diesn't new pulleys needed too.

You should try spring water WD40 on the belt

• garry

bearing gone , you need a  mechanic , you idiot ..as i said it could be a bearing or the pulley itself or even a belt ..

Your alternator belt is slipping (sort of similar to spinning tires on the road to make that squealing sound as the tire rubber slips past the road asphalt and the car is not up to speed yet.

Belt is slipping in the pulley as the alternator resists turning.  It needs to be TIGHTER.

It's a belt. It's old or not tight enough so it's slipping due to moisture on it. New belt needed. And tighten it properly.

Belts shrink as they heat up, so a loose belt may squeal when cold but behave after running a little while. It will get worse until you replace the belt. As you check the belt, also examine the harmonic balancer to make sure it hasn't separated.

It's still the drive belts. Belt dressings don't work. Body or foot powder work the best but on a vehicle that old you likely need new drive belts. Even if they are not cracked the belt rubber gets hard and that's what makes the noise.

• Rick

does sound like a slipping belt ..................................