Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

How long can I drive with this serpentine belt??

This is what the serpentine belt on my 04 Acura TL looks like. The rest of the belt is in tact and I really wouldn’t be worried about the belt if I didn’t see this break in it. Do you think it is alright for me to drive it like this for a few more weeks? The car still runs normally like it was before.

• PANKO

Do you want to do it yourself? It's simple. Watch a Youtube video on it.

This is getting worser, You have to change that

• JOHN B

Thanks for the reminder. No reason to drive on it, if you can afford to replace it.

it will break at the worst possible time . at 2 am on a snowy night on the highway , while you are drunk . 

Source(s): been there

Might last a few months.   Maybe a few Minutes..

Twist the belt as far as you can,. See cracks? Change it while UR thinking about it.

Good chance Next belt may be damaged by a bad pulley somewhere. A "friend" had a bit torn out on a New belt  because his alternator had been dropped, a bad pulley. Still lasted a long time.

I won't predict "overheating",  etc, Maybe you have Electric water pump? IDK.

The Chrysler's Gates belt  cost $60...dont bother with a cheap one.

ReRugged, it wont "trash engine". I've had Vee belts fly off,  S. belts bust, they just fly off, go  out Under car. Red lites  come on is all.  The drive is Instantly Removed from a belt when it flys off the driving Pulley; called the Crank Shaft. It does  Not  "keep flapping". . Only a Motorcycle's final  drive belt can wrap 'round rear pulley, lock rear wheel,   cause hi speed skid.

Anon U Moron: This is Not the Timing Belt. These are Notched and Covered.  Upper pulley is PS pump or AC compressor  or Alternator  or simply an Idler. Lower left  is a tensioner.. Drive is from Crankshaft. 

Short answer is that you can drive it until it breaks. No one has a crystal ball, but the belt is only as good as its weakest part. It will not matter how strong the rest of the belt is when the bad part breaks. Unless you are flat broke, I would get it replaced asap.   

It's 6 years old and has been going round and round in circles for a very long time, its done its job.

That belt could come apart and fly off any time, possibly leaving your water pump not moving and imminent overheating. That is an 8th generation Corolla engine. The camshaft is chain driven. The belt is spring tensioned and will stay tight until it shreds up. There's no telling how long it can last, but I would not take chances with that all ALUMINUM engine. The charge/alt light will come on immediately if the belt comes off. That is one of the easiest to change serpentine belts around. You can do it with just a large crescent wrench to slack the tensioner. While you're down there, feel around the waterpump shaft for crusty antifreeze or moisture, indicating a leak in the shaft seal. If you find that, replace the water pump too before the cooling system starts losing pressure, allowing boil-over, besides coolant loss.

I have seen worse.  Rubber belt should be replaced every 7 years so you are pretty well ensured a break will not happen. The big pulley in the picture is the camshaft so if the belt breaks, engine timing(pistons come up while the valves stick out and DAMAGE OCCURS.) costing thousands more than a fricking belt.

. You know yourself that a few more weeks translates into a few more months because you just can't be bothered.  Drinking happens or other kinds of parties...or a stay in the hospital will mess up your day. (it has been 16 years)so you got lucky.  It could fall apart tomorrow.

Have it replaced asap.  If the belt breaks with the engine running, it could trash the engine.

It may last for a few years yet, it may break in the next few minutes, there is no way to know for sure. What kind of chance do you want to take?