Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

One of my friends tells me that every single part and service for a car you should do at a dealer. I say it’s cheaper through other places?

Who is right?

You're both right. Dealers have OEM parts, and other places have cheaper parts

• ?

I don't use a dealer for car service and repairs as you tend to pay a lot higher price at a dealer and I would say that is because you are subsidizing the under warranty work they have to do for free.   Many European cars are built in a way that you need special tools specifically for that brand of car to force you to use their dealer network.  Have heard to get a European car serviced or repaired you get a bill twice the size a private mechanic charges.

As long as they use good quality parts such as genuine cam belts the private mechanic is generally just as good as the dealer at half the price.

• garry

dealers sell original spare parts and you pay extra for the name , oem stuff is as good as the originals but cheaper , even original part are oem .. prefers none original parts atleast you dont get the dealers name or mark up price ..

Maybe your friend has more money in his watch pocket than brains in his head. Shop around. Certified mechanics can do what dealer mechanics can do , and usually charge less. The dealer's advantage is more often they keep a stock of OEM parts. The dealer will not give a labor cost advantage, because all jobs are charge by "flat rate"- the standard time for each job estimated for one man using hand tools.

You are. Batteries, mufflers, tires, wheel alignments and much automotive repair can be done by a competent mechanic...or a shop that specializes in muffler replacement...shop in wheel alignments, shops in frame straightening, shops in autobody work & painting, shops that do brakes, or shops that do glasswork, etc.  You find out on your own.

Dealers are usually the more expensive.

Neither is right--and neither is wrong. Yes--some services you CAN get cheaper other than the dealer. Some you SHOULDN'T--and some will be more expensive. What the biggest concern here is, if you buy a car from a dealer and they give you a warranty, then SOME maintenance will be MUCH cheaper there. This depends on the warranty you get. 

For instance:  I bought my vehicle at the dealer, it was still under factory warranty when I did, and I ALSO paid for the car manufacturer's "loyalty link" program--which was a one-time fee when I purchased. That program alone has saved me THOUSANDS of dollars.  I get discounts on parts, labor and services. Some things are totally free. I've been very happy with that program AND my car, and the dealership.  So it really depends on what you can get when you buy, and what you have later. 

If you don't BUY your car at a dealer, then it will probably be cheaper to get your service elsewhere. Some parts or service may not be available elsewhere--it depends on the kind of car and the service needed. This is why you have to shop around for any car services. 

• F

With most work on car, Labour is the killer, you’re always in the clock.Dealerships nearly always have a higher Labour rate than independents. However, if they have all the right tools and know what they are doing, they might take less time , so the overall cost could be closer than you thought.

They will also normally be obliged to use OEM parts which can be a good thing, there are some shocking after market parts around, but they will charge top dollar and you may have been able to get upgraded aftermarket parts cheaper.Tyres, exhaust, and batteries should always be bought from specialist , never through dealers. There is so much competition , the prices are half what a dealer will charge.

Of course , DIY is cheapest, until you boo boo and have to pay someone to rectify your mistakes on top of the original repairs.

I generally would agree with your friend because they should know more about the car brand than anyone else. They should also have the parts available since they only carry 1 or 2 brands unlike a general mechanic who only carries the most popular items. 

You pay way more but you don’t have to worry about the dealer doing other things to your car to get you to return or suggesting services that you don’t need. 

The only time I wouldn’t bring a car to a dealership is for oil change, tire rotations, new tires, filter change. 

I wouldn’t bring my car to one of those quick service shops like Midas. They don’t know what they’re doing and they try to sell you on services that you don’t need. 

No it's more expensive than doing it at home or paying a place like service king.  The dealership will try to put extra fees and sell you stuff you may not need.