Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Is it normal that my daughter is the spitting image of my mother-in-law?

My daughter is 20 and she has never resembled me one bit. However, she is the spitting image of my mother-in-law. Is that rare or is it normal that your kids and can look exactly like their grandparents. They are literally identical, face and body. 

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Certain traits are passed from generation to generation...sometimes skipping. My oldest son in fact looks a hell of a lot like his maternal great great grandfather. The pictures of both are striking in their similarities. 

So yeah...pretty normal.

• Ann

My daughter looks like her paternal great-grandmother, and my son has a daughter who resembles her paternal great-great grandmother.  Two of my three children resemble their father more than me, except for their eye and hair coloring.  Their facial features definitely resemble his family.  It's called genetics. 

It's called genetics and a throw of the dice as to whose characteristics and shape you will inherit.

• ?

It all depends on the dice roll of genetics. Clearly your daughter carries the genes that your coparent inherited from his/her own mother. 

• ?

I think its "normal". However, are you the dad or the mom? If you're the dad, and she doesn't look at all like you....well? Draw your own conclusions?

Yes, genetics at work.  Very normal.

• Jerry

Yes, it is very possible for one to physically resemble family members other than parents. "Identical cousins" are fairly usual. Looking like a grandparent, a aunt or uncle, isn't unusual.