Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

How did your family do Thanksgiving this year with the coronavirus stuff going around?

I’m wondering so I can have ideas for Christmas.  For Thanksgiving we didn’t do anything it was just my son and I.  I’d like to connect to Christmas to the extended family even if we can’t have a massive get together.  

• Jerry
    Favorite Answer

My husband and I packed a picnic hamper and drove out to a remote nature preserve. We hiked and saw wild turkeys, deer, rabbits, dozens of gators, many dozens of bird species including sand hill cranes, roseate spoonbills, and 1 American bald eagle. We enjoyed our picnic then relaxed and enjoyed the view for a few hours. 

Today family will do visits via phone, Zoom, etc. 

• ?

same way we do every year

Our son came over and had dinner so they were just 3 of us which is our normal Thanksgiving 

I'm in quarantine in a hotel room for a week for work.   Not allowed to leave or have anyone come in.   HTH did people manage to do this for months?   Miss my house on 85 acres.

• ?

Try going on Zoom and have an electronic gathering. It works. Its easy to access.  Not the same, of course, but satisfying. And you don't have to dress up ! Or clean the house! Or cook !

No Thanksgiving this year.

We each cooked our own and then did a Zoom session (the free version is only good for 40 minutes but you can always dial in again or use Skype) with extended family all over. You can use Skype. And you and your son can still cook a fantastic meal and do all of the other things associated with Christmas. The tree, the trimmings but maybe instead of a giant roast, you have a little duck or chicken or a steak. Whatever. Have a few sides, just make them for 2 people instead of 10-20.  Honestly we had a nice Thanksgiving. It was nice not having the pressure of cooking a 20 lb bird and all the sides.