If a person is experiencing cardiac arrest, can they take an electric shock from the outlet to revive themselves?

Although an electric shock is weak in your person, you may be barefoot to increase the power of the shock. If it doesn't cheer up the heart, nothing will work.

2 Answers

  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

    No, that would not help.  The mains power outlet uses ALTERNATING CURRENT. What a heart needs to restart it is a hefty jolt of DIRECT CURRENT. If a defibrillator is not available, the chest compressions used in CPR can keep the person alive until medical help arrives .. but you can't do that to yourself.

  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    In certain conditions, you heart stops beating and instead fibrillates.  That means the muscle expands and contracts rapidly and doesn't pump blood properly.  This may be corrected using a defibrillator which kick starts the heart with an electric shock.  It needs to be the correct dose and correctly applied.  A shock from the mains won't help.  If you are conscious enough to stick your finger in the outlet, your heart is not fibrillating.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.