Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

Can a person has the right to tell an author what to do?

I have a book that I am writen so, I have a character who is a bully calling one the main character freak and NOT the word retard. I told people on facebook. I have a backlash over that word freak.

I feel like these people tell me what to do and one them said I if put the F word to many times they will closed the book but thst is not true Stephen Kings uses all sort of words. So, what can I do?

Ignore what the freaks on social media have to say.  If they could write, they'd be writers.  Don;t ever let someone change your voice for you.  Write it as you see it.  

Yes, they are not authority figures. 

QUOTE: "I have a book that I am writen"

Epic fail, right off the bat. 

You need to ignore feedback that you feel doesn't fit your writing intent. But listen carefully. Using the F word may be considered too much if viewed by the reader as not fitting the scene.

• Zac Z

To answer your question: no, nobody can tell an author what to do. (Or rather, people can tell an author what to do but that author can choose to ignore what people tell him/her.)

Now, things get more complicated once you want to publish your stuff. A publisher can reject your manuscript if they object to certain things*, and even if you self-publish readers can vote with their feet by not buying from an author they dislike for one reason or another.

And of course, once you publish your work it will be fair game for criticism - good and bad. That's part of the deal. (If you don't want that, simply don't publish!   😉)

As for foul language, some authors use it more than others. It will usually depend on the story itself. Some readers will only want to read "clean" books as they call it, that's their prerogative (even though I personally find that silly but they are free to read or not read what they like). Of course, it also depends on the kind of book - you won't find strong swears in children's books.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves here because, let's be honest, as others have indicated your writing skills still leave a lot to be desired.

I guess that you're still quite young, probably a teenager, so don't worry about publication.But by all means, keep writing. Most established writers have a collection of so-called trunk novels**; nobody expects you to produce a publishable piece right away. And maybe you don't even want to get published. Some folks write just for fun or because it helps them reflect on some issues in their lives, almost like therapy.

So, whatever the reason that you write, keep doing it - but maybe don't talk about it on FB too much. You might get criticism for an unfinished product (as seems to be the case), you might even get ridiculed; or you might simply put yourself under pressure to deliver something that isn't meant to be delivered (see the blog post about trunk novels).

In short: write away but don't let yourself be stressed - and the best way is to keep it to yourself for the time being!

If you want to get feedback, it'll be better to post it on forums for fan fiction and hobby writers rather than show it to your friends as the latter ones will be biased and you'll want to get honest feedback after all!

* for example, a publisher might refuse to publish work that is racist; I'd hope that works that glorify Nazism won't easily find a publisher but of course an author can include characters in their story that are Nazis (and these characters might very well voice very objectionable views) - if you like Stephen King you might know that he's written a novella that features an old Nazi, it's a very good story (which even was adapted into a movie), it's called "Apt Pupil" and is found in King's collection of novellas "Different Seasons" - check it out if you haven't read it yet!

** have a look at this blog post: https://medium.com/@masonsabre/the-trunk-novel-wha...

• Tina

"Oh, you are a really bad person," said the school bully to Cecil Milksop, the school victim, "In my opinion, of course."

"Shame, shame," chorused the bystanders "you must apologise and take that back at once. Plus we think you should have therapy. Only some one who had suffered some kind of trauma would call someone else a bad person."

"Yeah, get lost trauma-boy," shouted Cecil Milksop.

The Teacher in Charge of School Play Time sighed. Somehow this didn't seem right...

Yes...don't mention your work in progress on Facebook. As you have seen it won't be very helpful. You should obviously never call a person an ugly name in real life, but  your nasty characters can. Perhaps you could use early slang that your readers will never have come across to distance them from the scene:

"You are an utter rapscallion," said the school bully to Cecil Milksop.

"I'm not, I'm not," wept Cecil.

"A rascally sheep-biter, and you are wearing a lewd hat."

And so on....

• Cogito

What you call your characters is not important.  What really does matter is that your English is really bad, so no-one will be able to read and understand what your book is about.  Spend a couple of years working on your spelling, punctuation, sentence structure and basic English usage, and then, if you've improved a huge amount you might try writing a short story.

• ?

Sorry, but I can't understand a word of what you just wrote and can't make out what you're asking. I think you're asking if you can use certain words?

If so, as long as they are what the character would say then do as you please.