Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

France is considering banning "discrimination against accents". Have you really heard it all now?

Just when you were beginning to think that the woke couldn't get any crazier...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55069048

• Is it their not being able to be understood because of their accents? I dont mind talking to a foreigner IF I UNDERSTAND WHAT THEY'RE SAYING. Have you ever talk to technical support on the phone  or someone who is at your credit card company that you just can't understand? It depends on the discrimination

• Zac Z

Most people who've answered have apparently not read the article as they either misunderstand "accent" to be foreign accents or don't engage with the topic at all (like Kieth).

The supposed legislation is to prevent discrimination based on regional accents. I don't see why this is something to be ridiculed.

To get an idea what this is about, I'll just quote two short paragraphs from the article itself: 

'"Having a regional accent in France means automatically that you're treated like a hick - amiable but fundamentally unserious," says the bill's sponsor Christophe Euzet, who is from Perpignan in French Catalonia.

"It is unimaginable in France that you could have someone with a southern accent - or a northern one for that matter - broadcasting commentary on Remembrance Day. Or discoursing on Middle Eastern politics.'

• ?

only accents that say ,allah akhba ,,

Put it in the context of France. It is supposed to be one nation, but yet apparently people with hick accents are discriminated against. 

It is not about political correctness, it is actually about French nationalism just like laicite. Rightly or wrongly, that is what it is. People who are accustomed to federalism and or regionalism may not understand this mentality. I doubt you would you be comfortable with someone being discriminated against just for talking like a Bostonian or a Texan. Here you are siding with the elitists who only want to hear polished Parisian French. 

Crikey, that's sounds a bit of rubbish to me y'all. 

• Marli

Why do you think this question relates in any way to books?

This is not a discussion or a "Do you agree with me?" site. Ask for information or scram.

• ?

They won’t be showing Allo, Allo! Then.

I just told them, if they had problems with my French, that I spoke it like a Spanish cow, and after laughing they were very friendly.  However when I arrived in Lyon after traveling through Netherlands, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria and Switzerland I was so confused with languages I ordered ice cream in Danish, which drew a very bewildered response.

That sounds reasonable to me. People DO get discriminated against because of their accent. 

People in the US with Southern accents, for example, commonly get discriminated against because of a bigoted prejudice that people with Southern accents are stupid. 

In the UK, it's way worse than even in the US. In the UK, if you have a Northern accent (like from York), a Welsh accent, an Irish accent, a Scottish accent or any number of accents and live in London or the Home Counties, you are rampantly discriminated against, so much so that people who move to London or the Home Counties from the places where people with accents from those places get discriminated against in London and the Home Counties often spend years affecting an RP accent and even often a lot of money on what are called "elocution lessons" to perfect the RP accent and rid themselves of their other accent and all the discrimination that they're on the receiving end of because of it.  

You are speaking out of school by judging a foreign government for an action that has to do with what's happening in that foreign country, neither of which you know anything about. You must be a Trumpturd, because only a Trumpturd would think that stating their ignorant opinion is stating fact. 

Does that mean it would be against the law to laugh at Officer Crabtree?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US3gf3pZQ-g

Youtube thumbnail