Is it legal to do body work on a car in your garage?

Asking if you can do collision repair and other auto repair in your garage in Idaho. (Not painting) Cops have been called twice on my friend twice for it.

In most communities, it's legal to do this type of work on your own car although if you're running a part-time auto repair shop out of your garage, you are in violation of zoning laws.

It is as legal as vacuuming out the inside of the car. (I never do that or clean the windows or dash)  Painting is legal too.

. Friend may have been called on it because he is doing it like a business.  Not his cars, but other peoples cars in a RESIDENTIAL neighborhood (where businesses can not operate.) They have to set up shop in the industrial part of town(rent a shop and pay the city taxes) for the commercial shop as well as house taxes.

. If friend was doing HIS own vehicle then he is allowed.  But if he was fixing them up and reselling them for more damaged vehicles to fix up and sell...that is a business.

. I have fixed up all my cars and repainted them. I had them for over a year so real slow turn over.

.  Noise and fumes from paint would be the other complaint.  If it is a one day in a long time, neighbors CAN'T report him.  After all they get their septic tank pumped out once in awhile too...or cook cabbage outdoors...or spread manure on their gardens.

Yes, it's legal. What's ILLEGAL is excess noise, fumes, or trash. That's probably the reason the police were called--not the fact that he was doing body work. 

Cops were called? did they Ticket him for "car work in has Own residence"? (Doubtful)

If Not, if they left with out ticketing, sure thing its Not "illegal". It is illegal to force persons to take car to mechanics, against antitrust laws. Might be against a HA association to do it outside a fully-closed garage.  May have been called due to noise. In my state, you can be accused of running a "chop shop" if  cops see you working on a car and  "extra " car parts like 2 hoods, two trunk lids etc, and no receipts..

A nosey neighbor can "call cops" about Anything.  One  called the city over my car, Properly covered and in Side Yard, behind a Big tree and almost invisible from road. The neighbor had said  it was in "front yard". I showed 'em Pictures...they backed off...

Ive replaced Serp belt, Timing belt, plugs,   water pump, PS pump, A-Arms, steering racks, etc,  for  my renter. Occasionally for  friend of his for a six pack

Ronny:  True, there might be Some communities, definitely some neighborhoods with HAs,  where you are technically not allowed to work on own vehicle at home. Maybe. I Doubt ID has such, anywhere. No one here said "no place". I just seriously doubt so in this situation. I assume the guy didn't get a ticket for that, so it isnt?

2 + 2 = 4.

I hear they are trying to enforce S/D and mask rules, Cops have Better things to do; just because a law is On the books again does Not mean its actively enforced. Pot  illegal in my state but Pima county shuts eyes to small amounts,. Cochise County,  much smaller, really enforces it; needs the money from fines.

• ?

yes it is legal 

• Ron

I'm sure there's an ordinance somewhere saying that one cannot perform auto repair, other than their own, in their residential neighborhood

I see two idiots have responded. Most municipalities (that's cities and towns for the less educated) forbid an individual from performing any type of auto repair for profit in a residential neighborhood. If you friend wanted to know for sure, he or she could simply look up the local ordinance

People call the cops all the time for things they're SCARED of......including other people of different races. That doesn't mean the call was justified. Ask your friend, not us, what the outcome was.

You're not even saying WHY they were called. It could have just been because of the noise.

• ?

Running a commercial business out of his residential property of any kind may be illegal. The noise and clutter just some of the things I am sure his neighbors object to. He has to consult the local zoning ordinances.

Depends on the law laws.  Usually that type of a restriction is a local city or county ordinance.  Also it depends on whether he is doing work on his own personal vehicle, or doing work for someone else on their vehicle. If the police were called and they told him to stop doing the body work, then it must be illegal in your area.