Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Why exactly can't teens ( 14-18 ) consent?

I'm 16 and I know enough about being careful about sex, I can see someone under 14 being clueless but by 14 you'd think we would all be thoroughly informed

In most places (including most US states and most countries throughout the world), 16-17 year old teens CAN consent.

I personally think the age of consent is fine at 16 (although I do know many people who feel it should be raised to 18), but 14 is definitely too low.

16-18 year old teens CAN consent. That's the age of consent in the US, which varies state by state, but the majority set it at 16.

It's too low and should be 21. If someone is not mature enough to buy a beer how exactly are they mature enough to have sex?

• ?

In some states age of consent is as low as 16. But these laws are to protect kids who maybe aren't as worldly as you are from fully grown adults who would take advantage of the situation. 

• Maxi

The law on consent depends on where in the world you are.............. ages are different...eg Germany it is 14, Britain 16, Ireland 17...so in those countries those of that age can legally consent

• ?

That depends on where you are, in most states the consent age is under 18.  That said, it is generally because kids that age do not fully understand the long term ramifications of their actions, etc.

• xyzzy

In the US in 31 states persons 16 and older can consent to sex.  And in 6 other states people 17 and older can consent to sex. And many states have near age exceptions that allow persons younger than the age of consent to engage in sex as long as the couples ages are within a few years of each other. For example in Connecticut the age of consent is 16 but the state recognizes that minors who are at least 13 can consent to sexual activity if (and only if) there is less than a 3-year age difference.

I too used to be 16 and thought I knew a bunch. Now that I'm older (and wiser), i realize how little I actually knew. While you may disagree now, in five to ten years, you will be in agreement as well.

To understand that, you've got to first see that "consent" isn't just about sex.  It's about joining the military, owning property, entering into contractual obligations, and a dozen other things.  To sum up:  "Consent" is about the ability to anticipate and appreciate the significance of long-term consequences.

The teen brain is still growing, just like the teen body.  Unfortunately, the brain doesn't grow smoothly and uniformly.  It grows the ability to experience emotions first, and then at some later point it grows the ability to process logic and the inter-relatedness of phenomena.  In other words, for a while as a teen, you are a super roller-coaster ride of emotions without any capability to understand why you feel that way.  For some this ends early - for some it goes on until their early 20s.

So YOU, at 16, might be absolutely competent enough to engage in all the above-mentioned things, including having sex with whoever you think is worth your attention.  But most people in their teens are not.  (Oh, sure - many of them are quite adept at sex...but in truth they're not able to handle the details well and it often turns into a trainwreck in one way or another...like a lot of other things in their lives.)

And THAT'S why, exactly.

The grownups feel that under 18 one is simply not mature enough to understand the problems that can happen in a sexual relationship.