Dolly asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Are my parents right?

My parents expect me to have straight As and I came home today and have a B in two classes they immediately started yelling at me for being lazy. What should I make of it??

Please be serious!  

Thank you for being understanding Carmen

• Raja

Your parents yelling at you is wrong .They should have discussed with you why you failed to get As . Having noted the reasons they should have arranged for you to do extra lessons to improve you in weak subjects . 

wow - they shout at you for getting a B, thats really bad, in fact that could be called child abuse - after all a B is a good pass, maybe its time you started to rebel a bit and showed them how easy they have had it up till now.

in fact can we send my nephew up to your house to live - he is totally failing most of his classes and doesn't even care

Make of it that your parents are terrified about the new world we're all entering and they feel like excelling academically may be your only hope of enjoying a decent life. 

Is there anything you could have done to get a higher grade? If the answer is yes, then all you can do is try harder next time by putting in even more effort. Maybe your parents know that you are capable of getting a higher grade. But if you really tried the best you could, then explain to your parents that you did everything you possibly could. Maybe even suggest tutoring if you think that would help. I understand your parents have high expectations for you and that is good, but I do think yelling at you for it is a bit excessive. Because a "B" is still a good grade and many students get rewarded for having a "B". But as I stated earlier, they may think you are capable of getting a higher grade and could be pushing you to work harder.

• ?

Were you being lazy? Could you have done better? I remember making the deans list for the first time. I was all proud of myself and smiling, when one of my professors asked me why I was so happy. When I told him of my accomplishment, he said "Is that the best you could do?" I said yes. He replied with, "Well what do you want, a medal? That's what you're supposed to do, the best you can, all the time." It kind of took the wind out of my sails, but after a lot of thought, I knew he was right. You are supposed to do what is right, all the time, and the best you can, all the time..even when nobody is watching. I know this sounds harsh, but you have to keep pushing yourself to be better, all the time. Good luck.

• Carmen

Not sure how to answer this question with so little information Could you have done better? Are they just strict parent? Are they perfectionist? Are you getting lazy in school? For every action there is a reaction was theirs extreme? Maybe maybe not that just depends on your situation and their expectations from you even though a B not the worse grade but it does mean something has changed that caused them to be concerned or to react as they did. Whatever it is pray over it and continue to do your best. 

• Embery

They should have disowned you, you had one job...