Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

First time home buyer question ?

I’m preapproved to buy my first home. I found a home that I really like so I told my realtor that I want to write an offer on the home. My realtor wrote an offer and told the agent. As soon as my realtor gave the offer the agent asked for my bank statement and said they have a lot of offers on the house now. Was the agent suppose to ask for my bank statement although I have a preapproval?

If the offer included your pre approval the other agent was incorrect in asking for a bank statement.

I was asked for a bank statement when I signed a lease, but they were satisfied when I printed off "Deposits only" from our online checking accounts. 

• LILL

You were preapproved through your bank. You are not preapproved through the sellers agent. 

Sure they can ask.  You don't have to give it to them but if they do have multiple offers then refusing to give it to them will pretty much mean you won't get the house. FYI, its alot easier to get a preapproval than a loan so the seller wants to make sure you can really get the loan.

They can do that, yes.  

The seller can ask for whatever they want. They don't know you were preapproved. Your agent probably did not tell them.

Your proof of preapproval will probably work.  A bank statement should only be needed to prove you have the earnest money. I assume you have a down payment so I would do it if you are serious. Block out the account number of course.

Why didn't you ask the agent this?