Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

How do you write a good twist villain?

I want to be a writer some day and I'm trying to start writing my first book. I don't have the entire story planned out yet, but I have some key points that I know I want in the story. One of them is a twist villain. We've all probably seen at least one bad twist villain in our life so I'm a bit scared of falling into that category. I was wondering if there were any people who knew what could make a good twist villain along with other things like foreshadowing and how much i should include if any. If you have any tips I would greatly appreciate it.

• Andrew

The first and most obvious point to address would be this one: Does your story really need a twist villain? Just because you want to try your hand at something, that doesn't mean that this particular story would be the ideal time to do it. Incorporating a twist villain into a story isn't something that will work every time. Do you have a specific plot that might allow for it, or are you going to try to craft a story that might allow for it? 

You say that you "don't have the entire story planned out yet." In my experience that means "I don't have anything beyond the most basic premise for a plot and maybe a handful of small ideas." 

If that's the case, it's unlikely that you'll be able to write a story featuring a twist villain that works. 

Why? Well, because keeping something secret from the reader while taking pains to ensure that it still makes sense within the context of the story later is not an easy thing to do, even for an experienced writer, never mind for an amateur who has never completed a story before. You need to build towards the reveal without giving it away too early, but you need to leave enough clues so that it makes sense later and doesn't feel as though it's completely out of place and forced. Even authors who have been writing for years have trouble finding that sort of balance. 

I've been reading stories that contain a twist villain for over 30 years and I still have a hard time sitting down to write something like that. I've tried my hand at plots centering around things like con men pulling off a score and the amount of planning that goes into crafting a plot where you know the ending but you're not quite sure how to get there is something it takes a lot of effort to work out. 

Does the villain reveal him or herself or is the villain revealed when another character figures it out? That will obviously have a major effect on the development of the story. 

I think it's an interesting plot device, perhaps a bit overused today, but if it's done well, it can be quite enjoyable and tasteful. But it certainly does require a certain type of plot. You'll need to have a strong story-line to execute it well, and if you aren't sure exactly what you'll be writing about just yet, it'd probably be better to hold off on trying to do this right now.  

• Tina

I have to ask. What is a twist villain?