Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 2 months ago

Should my brother, and sister quarantine?

I live with my mom. My mom found out yesterday that she was working around someone with covid, and was told to quarantine for for 14 days. Thing is, my idiot brother, and sister visit often without a mask. Last time my brother visited was maybe a week ago. I think my sister was here yesterday, or the day before. Im pretty sure have should be quarantined, right?

They shouldn't visit your mom during her quarantine.  At least not inside the house.  They can come outside and talk to her from a distance.  Whether or not they have to quarantine would depend on their exposure.  You said that your brother was there a week ago, but you don't say whether that was before your mother was exposed.  The amount of time that they spent with her is also an issue.  The longer they spent then the greater the danger of exposure.  If they only had incidental contact then their risk is probably low

If she is in quarantine they must not visit. If she is infected, so are they, if they visit. 

My girlfriend quarantined at my house, so I had to stay inside with her as well. We did not go out or allow anyone in for two weeks. That is how it works.

• ?

They should get tested for covid 19 since they may have been exposed to it, if they weren't practicing physical distancing and not wearing a mask. If they did use physical distancing then there chances of getting the virus would be low. 

If they do test positive for covid then they should be self isolating. They shouldn't be going out any where, even with a face shield and or masks. Your mother should be self isolating, which means no one visits and she doesn't go any where, until she gets a negative covid test.

• ?

If you brother hasn't visited in a week and your mother just found out about potential exposure, he doesn't need to quarantine -- unless he visit her again.  If your sister visited your mother on the same day she was informed of potential exposure, your sister should quarantine at least until your mother is cleared or she is cleared by taking a COIVD test in about 5 days.  Failing to do so is risking exposing anyone she comes in contact with.  All of you would be wise not to visit your mother until is is cleared either by quarantining for two weeks or getting a negative test after waiting long enough to have a viral load. 

The same is true for you.  You need to assume that you've been exposed because you live with your mother.  Self-quarantining for two weeks is the best way to ensure you aren't a carrier and don't transmit to other people.  This means you need to consider having someone else buy groceries and leave that at your door. 

There is no need for your brother and sister to quarantine.

However, since they were around someone who was potentially exposed to covid, they should take precautions.

They should limit their time around others.

They should wear two masks or a mask and a face shield.

A mask won't save them from germs

at the very minimum , they should WEAR A MASK  around mom .