How am I supposed to live without savings?

I lost my job and don’t have any money now because I’m not the saving type.  It burns holes in my pockets and I get rid of everything as soon as i get paid.  How do people like me get by now?

• ?

FInd a new job ASAP and put 30% of your take home pay into savings for the next two years.

I am 41 years old and I saved into a roth IRA or other saving accounts around $31 per day/

The immediate task for you is to find another job.  Or multiple jobs.  Do what you need to do make ends meet.  Also examine why you lost your most recent job, to see if there are any changes you could make to yourself.  If you had a host/ess job at a restaurant that closed down due to covid, that's beyond your control.  But if you were let go for not showing up when you were supposed to, that's something you could work on.

Ask your friends, especially those like you, what they do in such situations.

Long term, the answer is to learn how to manage your money and delay purchases.  If you have a relative who lives modestly and has saved up for their future, ask them for advice (but NOT money) on how they did it.

• a

I see help wanted signs everywhere. You may not be able to be picky, but there are jobs.

"People like you" get some unemployment, and learn how to be 'the saving type.'

• Jenny

People like you fall behind their rent payments and if they are lucky, their apartments are part of the eviction moratorium so they don't have to fear eviction for a little while longer. They apply for all the government benefits they can get.

They don't need a "Plan B" until that help is no longer available. The next level "support net" is family and friends. They ask family and friends for money, couch surf or sleep in their car (provided it has not been repo'ed) after they have lost their home. The final stage are the streets or, if they are lucky, a homeless shelter.

Life will go on, even if you don't have any money. Time will pass and tomorrow may look better than today. Good luck!

Sorry--no sympathy. This is the result of not being "the saving type."  You have nothing you can fall back on. Unless you can get your sh** together and start saving money and stop spending it all, you are never going to get anywhere. Isn't that obvious?  This was entirely preventable.  

If you've had a job long enough you may be eligible for unemployment benefits. At any rate, you won't be able to continue your normal lifestyle until you get another job. I hope you've learned a lesson.

• ?

Looks like you're going to find out how "people like you get by now". Post in a month and tell how you managed.

It may be worth using this as a learning experience for you to start saving... if you ever get a job.

Good luck! Happy Thanksgiving!

Beg the government for money which the rest of us end up providing.

You think everyone was born the "saving type"? We learned to save, invest and plan. You spent with no regard to the future. The person to blame is looking back at you in the mirror.

I learned at a young age that eating out, soft drinks, anything from a quick mart (except gas) and grocery shopping on an empty stomach were all very bad ideas and kept me from saving. Ditto for drinking alcohol.

It's up to you to figure out how to live with the consequences of your choices.