Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 months ago

Is starvation an effective way to lose weight fast?

I'm not being facetious. I feel like every time I put food into my body it just contributes to my weight gain. I don't like my appearance and I want to lose weight but lack motivation. Is it okay to just starve myself?

It's okay, sure, but as soon as you start eating again you'll gain the weight back plus more because you will have messed up your metabolic rate. You'll also be malnourished which can damage internal organs, your skin, even the whites of your eyes may show discolouration. I can't see liking your appearance any more than you do now with parched yellow skin and eyes.

No, you will end up with things like rickets and not lose as much weight as you expect as your body will do what it can to retain weight as its starved.

What you need to find is a diet that lets you lose weight gradually and that you would be happy to continue after losing weight to keep it off.  

Starving yourself is the worse thing you can do and will result in poor health.  You need to see a nutritionist or join something like Jenny Craig.  They will show you where you are going wrong and what you are eating that is causing the weight problem.  Likely you are eating High GI food that is digesting quickly and putting on the weight while you are quickly feeling hungry again.  80% of the food sold in supermarkets is high fat and high sugared high GI food and not healthy.  Eating pre prepared meals from supermarkets is bad for you and put on the weight.  Take away food is even worse.  Alcohol and sugared soft drinks will quickly put on weight.  Many people don't realize how fattening these drinks are.  Of course sweets and cake icing are all bad as they are largely sugar.

You need professional advice from a dietician or to go to a reputable weight loss company and buy their meals and stick to them and the weight will fall off.  You must also exercise and at least one brisk 40 minute walk a day or ride a bicycle everywhere local will help a lot.  Do not jog or take up exercise that makes you puff as that vigorous exercise is actually pulling the sugars out of your body and not the fat.  If you work try and get a brisk lunch time 40 minute walk in and maybe after work in the evening if you can and that with correct eating will see the weight coming off at 2 or 3 pounds a week which is the healthy weight loss amount.  If you are seriously overweight it will take several months to achieve your weight loss goals but you will be healthy and find activity so much easier.

One last thing once you lose the weight do not go back to the bad eating habits as the weight will soon be gaining again.  Yes you can occasionally have take out or eat something fattening  but you hopefully will have learned that good Low GI food can be quite delicious and quite filling without all those worthless calories.

If you aren't willing to make the effort then be prepared to be a fat person with very poor health.  Back in the 1950s and 1960s people ate home made meals made with simple basic food of meat and Vegetables, and walked and biked a lot or had hard physical jobs and few people were fat.  I remember when I went to a school of 600 students and we had 3 overweight students in the whole school.  We all went home to a home cooked meal of basic foods and got plenty of exercise.  Now kids chomp on  chips and sodas between meals then mom brings home take away food for the evening meal.  The kids no longer have big back yards to play in and waste their days sitting on their butts playing video games and watching movies.    Bad food and lack of exercise is destroying the health of our communities.

• ?

No, because it isn't healthy and it doesn't teach you how to eat properly to maintain any weight you lose.

If you are serious about losing weight and are willing to make the necessary changes, you can find programs and apps that can help you as well as books, blogs, YouTube channels, and podcasts.  Here are some things to look into:

1.  Intermittent Fasting.  Fasting for 12-16 hours a day can help you burn stored fat. There are apps like dofasting, Zora, and Zero that help you pick and track your fasting windows.

2. Try a keto diet or a low-carb, high-protein diet. If you eat carbs, even in a calorie deficit, your body will either burn those calories as fuel or store extra for use later.  Your body will not burn stored fat as long a you have glycogen and insulin in your body.  There's lots of info on keto out there.

3. Track your calories and your macros and carbs. There are several apps like Lose It, MyFitnessPal, and Chronometer that enable you to scan labels, create meals and recipes for easy resuse, and automatically calculate the calories, carbs, protein and fat.  You can lose weight if you aren't in a calorie deficit and you have to learn how to eat nutrient-dense foods that provide you with both the nutrient you need and a feeling of fullness/satisfaction within a calorie limit appropriate for your weight.

4. Either buy a food scale and or get portion control containers. Knowing how much you are actually eating and learning portion control is essential for weight management.  Most people who are overweight eat multiple servings and underestimate their consumption. Use tools to help you.

5. Start an exercise program.  There are so many videos on YouTube that there's no excuse not to start moving your body.  Weight loss is 80% diet, but exercise does help.

• ?

No. Apart from feeling ill and possibly damaging your health you will just pig out when you can't continue. It takes willpower to diet. Few of us, including me, possess it.

• ?

no it isn't and it's very dangerous

No, for a lot of reasons.