Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

I changed the locks on my apartment?

My landlord kept bothering me and saying he will enter my apartment if he gives me a notice which I do not allow so I changed the locks on the door to keep him out for good.  Will he reimburse me for the locks?

44 Answers

Relevance
  • zipper
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

NO WAY!  In fact he can legally demand that you give him a key, after all it is his property!  Plus if something happens when your gone he, the police, firer company or pumper may need access RIGHT NOW!

• L
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Really?  You are NOT allowed to change the locks on an apartment!!!!!!!!!!  If the landlord can not get in, even with a notice, you are breaking your Lease/Rental Agreement and you will be evicted.

• 2 months ago

Only in Trollville. Everywhere else, it's an illegal lockout and cause for eviction.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Depending on the lease and the laws in your area that can actually get you evicted and a bill for the landlord having to have a locksmith remove the lock and change them again.

He is not in your home..  you are in his.

I own several rental units and I always give my tenants ample notice when I will be there and I also have a property manager who does the same.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Ron Akia with best answer.

• 2 months ago

Oh sure--he'll reimburse you for making it impossible for him to enter his own property. And if you can't see that sarcasm, you should change the locks on your brain as well.  

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You do NOT own the apartment, you rent/lease it so therefore the landlord IS ALLOWED to enter with notice or if there is an emergency without notice. If you change the locks, HE will hire a locksmith to break in and then YOU get charged. The landlord will always need a set of keys. You can also be evicted 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Maybe *you* don't allow it, but the LEASE does. The landlord must be allowed access to maintain HIS property.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No, and what you did was illegal.  He will probably sue you or evict you.  He has the legal right to enter with  notice.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

On the off chance that you're not trolling, he will more than likely begin the eviction process. Start packing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.