Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

I changed the locks on my apartment?

My landlord kept bothering me and saying he will enter my apartment if he gives me a notice which I do not allow so I changed the locks on the door to keep him out for good.  Will he reimburse me for the locks?

• zipper

NO WAY!  In fact he can legally demand that you give him a key, after all it is his property!  Plus if something happens when your gone he, the police, firer company or pumper may need access RIGHT NOW!

• L

Really?  You are NOT allowed to change the locks on an apartment!!!!!!!!!!  If the landlord can not get in, even with a notice, you are breaking your Lease/Rental Agreement and you will be evicted.

Only in Trollville. Everywhere else, it's an illegal lockout and cause for eviction.

• ?

Depending on the lease and the laws in your area that can actually get you evicted and a bill for the landlord having to have a locksmith remove the lock and change them again.

He is not in your home..  you are in his.

I own several rental units and I always give my tenants ample notice when I will be there and I also have a property manager who does the same.

Ron Akia with best answer.

Oh sure--he'll reimburse you for making it impossible for him to enter his own property. And if you can't see that sarcasm, you should change the locks on your brain as well.  

You do NOT own the apartment, you rent/lease it so therefore the landlord IS ALLOWED to enter with notice or if there is an emergency without notice. If you change the locks, HE will hire a locksmith to break in and then YOU get charged. The landlord will always need a set of keys. You can also be evicted 

Maybe *you* don't allow it, but the LEASE does. The landlord must be allowed access to maintain HIS property.

• Judy

No, and what you did was illegal.  He will probably sue you or evict you.  He has the legal right to enter with  notice.

On the off chance that you're not trolling, he will more than likely begin the eviction process. Start packing.