Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceOther - Business & Finance · 2 months ago

what is the term used for describing when a customer doesn't have the money to pay for a service/product but acquires it and pays later ?

for instance, I tend to go and do grocery shopping 2/3 into a month and the store owner will write down what it is owed in a diary, my name along with the outstanding amount.

If there was an amount already outstanding ,  he simply will put down amount + amount

so he adds up whatever my balance is end of the month and that is what I will pay off.

In business world, what is the correct term for this practice which my store owner does ?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

That he left his wallet at home on that first day. 

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Credit.

You've heard of credit cards, which allow you to borrow from a bank and pay later. They're based on this older concept of buying from a store "on credit."

• 2 months ago

It’s buy now pay later but no one uses that system unless it’s a really small store like a private store.

• 2 months ago

You're buying on credit. Many grocery stores used to have this service although it is not common today. When I had a neighborhood grocery store, back in the 80s, I allowed a few customers to do this although I ended up discontinuing it after a couple of them stiffed me when they moved out of state. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You are describing buying on credit.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

credit, on account, running a tab. pick one.

• Barry
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

A credit arrangement. Or in the UK 'on the slate'.

• 2 months ago

Buying on account.

• Alan
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I don't think your process is a normal convention.  

He is letting you pay as if you had a credit card 

without you having one..

So maybe, "giving you a line of credit" , "buying on credit" or 

"Running a tab" .  

or even "that you are giving him an IOU(s)"  (I Owe You) 

"Paying on installments or an installment plan"   is one term.     

• 2 months ago

That's called 'credit'.  It's also called 'running a tab' (when you buy the groceries you say 'Put them on my tab.')  It's called 'buying on account'.  Or 'Buy now, pay later'.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.