What’s the point of a gaming laptop?

Why not get a desktop? You can get so much more for your money plus they’re easier to upgrade

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Portability and size. 

Yes, desktops are more cost effective and upgradable, but they're bigger and harder to move around. If you've got limited space (like a college dorm room as one example) then a laptop is easier to deal with for many reasons.

Because most teenagers who want a gaming computer know full well their parents aren't going to let them have a desktop gaming PC, soooo they do some researching and find that a pre-built laptop only costs $399 vs. a pre-built desktop that costs $1200 (alienware probably) so they think, my parents would probably get me a laptop.

And that's what happens.  They get this laptop for christmas (NOT made for gaming) but it has similar specs to a desktop PC.  Then they complain that it's getting too hot, or that it's running laggy, and are asking questions like "how to fix laggy laptop plz?"

They never bother to research BUILDING their OWN PC's for a lot less than $1200. 

Here it is in a nutshell: LAPTOPS WERE NEVER MEANT FOR GAMING!!

Buuuuuuut, because of the lower price, and similar specs to a desktop PC, there are people out there who think laptops can do the same as desktops and that will never be true.  HOWEVER..... I have seen SOME actual laptops that are custom built, AND custom designed with custom made parts, specifically made for gaming.  But you're talking spending over $3000.

I agree with you.  Just get a desktop, buy the parts, put it together, the problem with that is, if you get a bad part, it can be difficult to figure out what the bad part is.  I built this PC I am on right now back in 2015, it ran from day one.  And I ordered all my parts from Tigerdirect.com, and I spent $715.00.  Case, CPU, motherboard, PSU, GPU, memory, 2 hard drives, cause I already had 2, so currently running with 4 hard drives.  And it is super easy to build a PC.  I/O plate snaps into back of case, cpu goes in mobo, heatsink with fan and paste goes on top cpu, mobo in, screws to hold in place, PSU goes in, GPU goes in, memory goes in, hard drives go in, connect all cables, connect wires to mobo from power switch, hdd lights, restart, just follow what the mobo manual tells you, install extra fans, close case, turn on PSU switch in back, plug into wall, plug in devices, press power on case front.  It's not rocket science.

They should have extra features for gamers to enjoy.

It's mainly for those I guess who are into gaming.

• keerok

Portability. Surely no one lugs around their desktops anymore to those "computer parties" like they did way back in the 2000's.

• ?

Some people prefer portability. Others don't know much about PCs and want something that looks 'cool' and gaming-oriented so they choose a gaming laptop.

A bit tough to carry that game around with you when it's stuck in a desktop.  Real gamers take their games with them wherever they go.