Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationVideo & Online Games · 2 months ago

Why is the PS5 so impossible to get?

I’m new to buying gaming consoles from the get go. I usually wait a couple of months before buying one, however this is the first time I try to buy a console on release and it’s been impossible. I’ve been following it and keeping up to date on restocks online and possibly in person. I know about the bots that people are using. Did they not make enough consoles due to covid? Help me understand why some stores only have a very limited amount in stock. Also has it been like this when other consoles have dropped? 

People are grabbing them up because its the next new thing to have. Also the company only manufacturers a small quantity of them on purpose to drive up demand for it. This happens with the release of every single generation of gaming console, regardless of what it is. It is beyond tiresome now.

When Switch first came out, it was hard to find one.

I was working at a Walmart and people brought in those folding camping chairs to get theirs.

The problem is that people are buying out products (YES BOTS) to turn around and make a profit 3 or 4 times MSRP, which should be looked at by the FTC (Federal Trade Commision).

That is straight up criminal.

• Kyle

sony and microsoft both underestimated supply and demand.  maybe since they thought ps4 pro and xbox one x can do 4k gaming, there wouldn't be a huge need for a new console.  

to be honest, a lot of games will still come on those consoles.  i would get a ps4 if you really want to play their games.  then maybe get a ps5 in a year or two.  

i currently have a xbox one x and dont see my self upgrading for a while.  4k gaming isn't all that important to me as the games themselves.  plus, for now, most games you buy on ps4 or xbox one x you can upgrade for free to their next gen counterpart.  at least digital versions.  

capitalism      

• ?

Some console launches have been highly anticipated and because of it they were hard to get -- the Wii is one example, and I remember having to line up early to get ahold of an Xbox 360 even a couple of months after its launch. It's not always like this, like the Xbox One wasn't exactly hard to find because of bad marketing causing people to not want it compared to the PS4, and neither was the PS3 because it was so expensive for the time.

There's huge demand and not enough supply mainly due to the pandemic. 

It was like this with the wii and the switch, and I think it might have been like this when the ps4 came out too. Anyway the theory is they do it on purpose to get people excited about a console and inflate sales, and then when people have them they usually buy games so the sales continue. Anyway my suggestion to you is to forget about buying a ps5 until next summer or winter, and then if they're in stock and if you see 5 or more games you know you'll like then maybe buy it, but remember that the earlier you buy a console the less games there are that are actually worth your time. 

are you dumb its not released