Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareOther - General Health Care · 3 months ago

My mom tested positive for covid and she insists she’s not contagious and she won’t stay isolated. What can I do?

I’m trying to keep the rest of my family safe but it seems impossible when she won’t listen.

Have her wear a N95 Mask. If she really has it tested positive and has no symptoms she may spread it and be ok herself or does not really have it. Everyone in the house should mask up. Some people never get fully sick so they think its no harm. My brother drinks all the time and says he is  fine and he is not. Its because he never has been to ER room. Just ask her nicely to protect others from herself and go to doctor if she has trouble breathing or coughing too much. Its been 7 days since your post. any updates??

Send her to the person who said Covid-19 doesn't exist

She needs a negative test result first

• Joe

Contact the local health department and inform them. They will probably have her arrested.

Start a go fund me page and use the proceeds to get her a plane ticket to Cleveland.  If she won’t leave take your family to Vermont. 

The CDC yesterday changed its stance on whether masks (other than N-95s) protect the wearer in addition to protecting those around the wearer. They are now saying that while the main reason to wear a mask is still to protect others, it does offer the wearer some protection.

So if she absolutely will not isolate, all the family can do is protect themselves from her foolishness. Wear masks. Stay away from her, ideally not spending time in the same room. Take over cleaning and use an antibacterial cleaner on shared surfaces in the kitchen, bathroom, and stuff like doorknobs and light switches, several times a day. Wash your hands often, 20 seconds minimum. Avoid touching your face and eyes.

If any of the family members would be welcome to stay elsewhere temporarily with someone who cannot be infected (a recent COVID recovery offers a few months of immunity), they should.

Simply boycott her.  Make it clear that you and your family will not socialize with her until she puts on that mask and stands her distance.  And use disinfectant all over the house frequently.

• Marc

You cant do anything other than control yourself. If you want to take steps to protect yourself then do it. 

• ?

Contact your health authority.