C. asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 4 weeks ago

SciFi/Romance book recommendations?

Anyone have any good recommendations for a book or series that is similar to Anne McCaffrey's The Rowan (or officially, The Tower and the Hive) series? Im looking for a book or series preferably in the SciFi/Romance genre (though Fantasy/Romance is also acceptable) that is as similar as possible to that, but with a bit more romance. Preferably with scenes that are a bit more "steamy" if you take my meaning. Not anything too crazily graphic in terms of "descriptive romance scenery", but more than Anne McCaffrey would use. However, I do not want anything with more tragedy than in her Tower and the Hive series, i.e. the killing of Rojer Lyon's two Mrdini friends or the death of Damia's brother Larak when they fought Sodan.

Any recommendations are welcome, provided that the recommended books do not have any type of horror or descriptively graphic violence.

Thanks

• Zac Z

First off, I'm unfamiliar with this series by Caffrey.

I usually don't read much romance but when I saw your question, even before reading the details, the book that immediately came to my mind was "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger.

I guess that one doesn't have much to do with that Caffrey series so it won't be a perfect match but given that there haven't been any other answers yet, I guess it's better than nothing!   ;-)

It is an interesting mix of romance and time travel and therefore has a cross-over appeal.

I overheard two girls chatting (back when the book had come out fresh) about how confusing the story was. Now, I guess if you've never read SF or anything to do with time travel you might find the non-linear narration a bit challenging (the girls in question also didn't sound extremely bright but I might have misjudged them) - as someone who loves time travel stories, I didn't find this element confusing. In fact, this is what drew me to the novel.

It is quite heavy on the romance but it's less saccharine as the usual fare (I suppose) so if this sounds interesting to you, give it a try.