Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Answers · 4 weeks ago

What type of questions should you ask a child you suspect is being sexually abused?

I'm a little worried a child in my family might be getting molested, but I'm not sure if my suspicions are correct. I've just picked up on a few things, how do I find out from the child if they've been sexually abused? What type of questions would I ask the child? This is a serious question so no silly answers please.

Ok well how would I go about getting a professional to do this?

• .

Your question belongs in Social Science>Psychology as it's currently in Yahoo Products>Yahoo Answers and not applicable to this subcategory (and thus decreases your chances of getting many useful answers).

Moving your question can be done by clicking Edit (pencil icon for mobile)>Edit category just beneath your question, then selecting the category that's appropriate for the topic.

.

One would think if you were sincere in your inquiry, you'd have ensured it was in the appropriate subcategory for the topic. 

Whatever you decide to ask, you had better be damned sure that the child isn't making up a story in an attempt to tell you what you want to hear. Just the accusation can completely ruin someones life. I'm not trying to protect child molesters or anything like that, but if you're going to throw a grenade, you better be sure of your target. If someone started a rumor like that about me, there wouldn't be a rock on this planet that you could hide under where I wouldn't find you.

If in Australia Call the Crime stoppers Hot Line and the Right department will Investigate

be careful and choose your words carefully because the child could be scared to tell anyone, because the child may of been told not to say anything.. if this is true, you should put it in the right category 

Ask them what happened...

Children in such situations are often threatened with HORRIBLE things,  if they tell anyone,  so they are prone to lie to you, even if you ask the right questions. 

The pedo could instill in the child that she will be taken away from her parents if she tells anyone.......or her parents will go to jail. 

The child isn't capable of rationally thinking these things thru.....and will believe whatever the pedo tells them. 

So if you want to have that conversation with a child........you would first need to gain their trust, and assure them,  that whatever they were told by this person is NOT true, and will NOT Happen. 

You could start by saying that they seem sad.....and ask if anything is  bothering them..........but again, their initial reaction may be FEAR that someone has discovered  the "secret" ........and their worst fears may be that the  pedophiles threats  may come true. 

So assuring them,   that you won't tell anyone,  or that the threats were just empty threats.......and you will make sure none of that happens, is essential. 

They have to trust you enough to tell you the truth. 

• Daniel

Have a Talk with your Child Sit down and Ask if anything is Wrong and if anything is Bothering them 

Ask them Questions about Information that you have Observed 

Good Luck

Start by asking if they are happy, then ask what are things that make them sad and is there anyone who makes them scared, that's how I'd probably start off. 

On Yahoo Answers, it depends on the type of question and the category. For example, polls and surveys for simple questions like, "How many people here have been molested?" Use family and relationships for family molestation; or sports if it is about the child's football coach. Try to tailor your question about child abuse to the correct section and expected audience.

• A.J.

This is not a place to ask. Although I could think of the right questions, I'm not a formally trained psychologist nor investigator, despite growing up reading Psychology Today magazine and a mom with education and career directly experienced. You should take the chance and at least query a psychologist with local social services even if not yet reporting things fully. Don't be silent. Decide best path. Was OK to bring it forward here, but you need a trained expert.