Jacek asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 1 month ago

Hi, Im a 20 year old trying to figure out the best investment portfolio to use long term in a Roth IRA . Any advice would be great! ?

Below is my current allocations. Please review and leave any thoughts or advice. Thanks!

Attachment image

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

I'm not much of an ETF guy, I've been doing individual stocks for nearly 40 years.  If this were your full portfolio I would agree with other posters. But, in a tax deferred account I like to have an overweight on the more conservative dividend paying securities, and I put my high risk weighting in a taxable account. A) because they tend to pay no or little in dividends to be taxed, and b) if they don't pan out I can realize a tax loss on them. 

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I think it is a bit too conservative for your current age. 

At age 20, i would look for steady dividend paying stocks, like some utilities, that pay 4%+. (Consolidated Edison-ED comes to mind). Max out the contribution each year, spend it all on one or two stocks, and reinvest the dividends. Do that for five years and reassess. 

• 1 month ago

Buy a house.  Houses almost always appreciate; and you need to live somewhere.  At age 50 (if you do not upgrade) you will have no more house payments

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

might b a little conservative for your age, but in these very uncertain times, probably ok.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

So rather than talking to a financial advisor you though it would be best to ask a bunch of random strangers on the net?  Good luck with your bankruptcy stupid dude.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.