Jacek asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 1 month ago

Hi, Im a 20 year old trying to figure out the best investment portfolio to use long term in a Roth IRA . Any advice would be great! ?

Below is my current allocations. Please review and leave any thoughts or advice. Thanks!

I'm not much of an ETF guy, I've been doing individual stocks for nearly 40 years.  If this were your full portfolio I would agree with other posters. But, in a tax deferred account I like to have an overweight on the more conservative dividend paying securities, and I put my high risk weighting in a taxable account. A) because they tend to pay no or little in dividends to be taxed, and b) if they don't pan out I can realize a tax loss on them. 

• kswck2

I think it is a bit too conservative for your current age. 

At age 20, i would look for steady dividend paying stocks, like some utilities, that pay 4%+. (Consolidated Edison-ED comes to mind). Max out the contribution each year, spend it all on one or two stocks, and reinvest the dividends. Do that for five years and reassess. 

Buy a house.  Houses almost always appreciate; and you need to live somewhere.  At age 50 (if you do not upgrade) you will have no more house payments

• Judy

might b a little conservative for your age, but in these very uncertain times, probably ok.

So rather than talking to a financial advisor you though it would be best to ask a bunch of random strangers on the net?  Good luck with your bankruptcy stupid dude.