How do I write a sociopath?

How do I write a teen girl sociopath for a little story I'm writing? I've done research, but I just can't seem to translate the character into writing? 

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Marli
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Put Jas B's and Anonymous's answers together.  What does she want? What does she do to get it?

If she wants to torment another girl, would she pretend to be her friend in order to search out he weaknesses and desires, then turn that knowledge against her? How would she do it? 

You will need to "think nasty" to get into your sociopath's mindset.  For a good-minded person, that's not easy or pleasant. It can bring on headaches and nausea. "What Lola wants, Lola gets" - and no "sucker" will stop her from getting it. 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Step 1: take out a pen and paper

Step 2: Form the letters "a sociopath" with the pen. 

• 4 weeks ago

Not everyone can write stories. Maybe you just lack the skills. There's nothing shameful about it; not everyone can run a 4-minute mile, or compose like Mozart.

Everything about creative writing is a challenge. The joy and pleasure come from facing the challenges and finding ways to overcome them. What is your teen girl going to DO in the book? What are her aims, how does she achieve them, what gets in her way, how does she deal with the obstacles? All those things have to make sense for THAT character, and it's up to you, her creator, to work it out.

• garry
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

enjoys a good comedy book , dose she say die or i'm going to kill you in it ? has to involve her killing to be a sociopath ..

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Another thing to remember when you write any kind of antagonist, whether they're a sociopath or a greedy businessperson or a jilted lover, is that in their own minds, they're the hero of the story, and everything they do is fully justified.

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

First, work on your English skills.  Read lots of really good books.

Your question shows that you really need to improve your English before attempting to write stories.

• Jas B
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

The Mayo Clinic give a good description of this disorder;

"Antisocial personality disorder, sometimes called sociopathy, is a mental disorder in which a person consistently shows no regard for right and wrong and ignores the rights and feelings of others. People with antisocial personality disorder tend to antagonize, manipulate or treat others harshly or with callous indifference. They show no guilt or remorse for their behavior.

Individuals with antisocial personality disorder often violate the law, becoming criminals. They may lie, behave violently or impulsively, and have problems with drug and alcohol use. Because of these characteristics, people with this disorder typically can't fulfill responsibilities related to family, work or school."

Antisocial personality disorder signs and symptoms may include:

Disregard for right and wrong

Persistent lying or deceit to exploit others

Being callous, cynical and disrespectful of others

Using charm or wit to manipulate others for personal gain or personal pleasure

Arrogance, a sense of superiority and being extremely opinionated

Recurring problems with the law, including criminal behavior

Repeatedly violating the rights of others through intimidation and dishonesty

Impulsiveness or failure to plan ahead

Hostility, significant irritability, agitation, aggression or violence

Lack of empathy for others and lack of remorse about harming others

Unnecessary risk-taking or dangerous behavior with no regard for the safety of self or others

Poor or abusive relationships

Failure to consider the negative consequences of behavior or learn from them

Being consistently irresponsible and repeatedly failing to fulfill work or financial obligations

Adults with antisocial personality disorder typically show symptoms of conduct disorder before the age of 15. Signs and symptoms of conduct disorder include serious, persistent behavior problems, such as:

Aggression toward people and animals

Destruction of property

Deceitfulness

Theft

Serious violation of rules

Hope that helps.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

That is writing exactly. Translating life to the page and some people just can't do it. The same way that some people just can't paint, play an instrument well or sing. These crafts do take some natural talent. 

Failing the ability to just write anything or anyone you have to learn to get into the character. How can you display her traits? What's the story and what's her goal? What does she want? What are the stakes if she doesn't get what she wants?

• 4 weeks ago

I'd be surprised if you could translate *anything* into writing.

• Elaine
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

What are the characteristics of a sociopath?  What words can you use to describe your character's reactions?  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.