Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 1 month ago

problems with male coworker, am i being dramatic?

okay so i’m the only girl (21F) that works in that department. i work with 3 other men. 2 of the men are decent, they’ve never really said or done anything mean or odd to me. they’re friendly. but there is one guy in particular (45M) who is just really creepy and gives me weird vibes. he always makes comments about what i’m wearing. he said that he wants to have a party at my house. one time we were having a conversation about money and he said “if you want a million dollars from me you’re gonna have to marry me.” he is always asking me if i’ve ever been in a relationship, if i have a boyfriend, he’s just nosy about my love life in general. while he was showing me how to do something he kept chewing gum in my ear and he kept leaning on me while i was sitting down (his crotch was by my face WTF?). not only that but he keeps touching me. he poked me in my shoulder, one time i had dust on the sleeve of my jacket and instead of telling me he decides to wipe it off of me himself. then i accidentally grabbed his scanner and then he held my hand and told me i had his scanner. i feel like i’m being dramatic but at the same time he makes me sooo uncomfortable. thankfully he’s switching shifts soon but do you guys think i should take this to HR?

• T J

If you can secretly record him saying these things, you can take it to HR, he maybe fired. Inappropriate touching. If you really want to, get a lawyer and sue the company.

• Embery

He is simply trying to get some, now nobody is saying you have to give him any but just think how much more pleasant he and your work experience will be when you do. 

If you address it with him first. If you tell him to back off and respect your space and to quit flirting with you or taunting you  and he doesn't... then you go to HR. You're a grown up woman now. Hold your own. If that doesn't work, then you seek help. I've worked in river recreation for the last 22 years now and have just about always been either the only woman or one of the only women in the room. Though it's changed greatly in the last 8 years.  Stand your ground girl. 

No you're not. Your choices are simple however: Either tell him that his attentions are unwanted and that you'd prefer NOT to have to go to HR about it, and hope he gets the hint, or go to HR about it.