Poll: Which is better, college football or pro football?

I prefer pro football to college football.

The college and pro game have nearly become one in the same. Years back the college game was primarily run and pass option at any time, while the pro game was primarily run first then pass on third down. But, it seems like more and more was being done to protect the quarterbacks and receivers. Now, the run game in both college and pros has been significantly reduced, in favor of a now pass happy offense. Great running backs are becoming a rarity these days, in both college and pros.

With so many changes aimed at protecting the offensive side of the ball, the pro game looks very much like college. It wasn't long ago that quarterbacks in the pros were throwing around 20 passes per game. Now, it's not uncommon to see a QB throw 50-60 passes per game. The NFL has become a pass happy league. And, with good reason. Defenses cannot hit offensive players the same way they did just 10 years ago. 

In the past, defensive players could lay out some receiver going over the middle, hit and land on top of quarterbacks, and bury your helmet in the gut of some running back; however, those are now penalties in today's game. The defensive player's helmet is now considered a weapon you cannot use on an offensive player. When I played as a kid, everything was fair game, even hitting a player in the head with a forearm. 

Watching today's pro game is not much different than watching a college game. That's why so many rookie quarterbacks in the pro game are starting in their first or second year, even those who weren't drafted that high. The pro game is copying the spread offenses that the college game now also plays. 

Just look at Kansas City and their spread offense. Who else can run it better than a quarterback who came from an Air Raid spread offense in college? None other than Patrick Mahomes who ran the Air Raid at Texas Tech under the tutelage of current Arizona Cardinal Head Coach Kliff Kingsbury.  

Both the college and pro game are equally entertaining. College football takes more chances because the talent level isn't as good as the pros. But, it's interesting to see how the pro game has evolved into the college game, especially since the belief was that pro defenses could stop any type of college offense. 

College for me as there's pride in playing for a particular university. Once they turn pro

you might remain a fan of the player, but if going to a team you dislike it can be difficult.

Source(s): I've been a football fan for close to 40 years, and a childhood friend played for a rival NFL team.

While I like both, I like college football a bit more.