Does my new battery need to be charged beofre i use it in my generator?

Finally ended up finding a battery that fits my battery box on my generator and i'm nervous about using it so I just wondered if you guys recommend charging it before I put it in, it's a MightyMax YTX12-bs sealed battery, i would assume that it probably needs charging because God knows how long it sat in a factory before it was shipped out to me but I just want to make sure, i have a 1.5 amp Battery Tender Plus so that should be ok for an initial trickle charge right? I'm a disabled man on a fixed income and i don't want to screw a new battery up and have to buy it again and I'm not sure about it so that's why I'm being careful and asking questions

River Euphrates......good idea smart *** but i dont have a voltmeter to check the voltage on the battery and i know from experience that it can screw up a new battery to run it if it's not charged, been there done that, on this particular generator with the original battery actually and i just dont want to be out anymore money than i have to be because like i said, fixed income and i cant afford to buy again....thanks everybody for the friendly sensible non smartass answers

Also.....Anonymous? who said anything about a car battery? I said a GENERATOR BATTERY......more opinions  from others are welcome though

• CB
    Favorite Answer

Normally they have sufficient charge, but toss it on the battery tender and let it charge - may take several hours or a couple days if the red light seems to be on too long reattach the charging leads for a better connection, it may turn green immediately (i have seen some quirks like that occasionally)  - certainly doesn't hurt to have a fully charged battery installed - just in case it is low - I usually charge them first on my power sport equipment.

I would. Always best, for  max battery life.  to give it a two amp charge, overnight.

• Phil M

I recommend testing it before you put it in. Volt meters are cheap.

You could... check... and see if it is charged...

Crazy - I know.

MOST batteries are sold charged. It is actually fairly simple to determine the manufacture date of the battery, and they sell by date is far short of the time it would normally self discharge beyond being able to start the generator.

That said, I would probably exercise the generator after replacing the battery, and that process recharges the battery, as well as ensuring the engine still functions.

As soon as they put acid in it, then they charge it IN THE STORE.  Otherwise those batteries you see on the shelf? none of them have acid in them.(that happens after you make the purchase)  So, YOU know how long you battery has been standing.  [God went fishing.] It will hold a charge for a year.

. You don't want a pissy little charger.  It the charger does not say 10Amp/12Volt then it is not big enough.  They usually have a needle gauge that starts at high amps and moves down as the battery reaches full charge which if it was a drained battery could take 6 hours..  (I sleep during that time)

- a trickle charger is not for car batteries.

It wouldn't hurt a thing to charge the battery fully before installing it.

I expect it would work fine as is, but the trickle charger would be the extra insurance, so use it.