Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 4 weeks ago

Can I say "That's it" or "So yeah, that's it" toward the end of a speech? example is below. ?

..... You two always care each other, have a nice married life, God bless you and that's it. I don't know what to say more. ←Are these sentences correct? 

And If say "So yeah, that's it" there, would it be correct? 

Favorite Answer

You can say it but it sounds too informal for a speech.  It is almost an admission of lack of planning and lack of having thought of a better finish, so either you did not try or you failed.  It would be fine though as the speech for the bride and groom, I would think.  It is a weak ending just the same.  Be better to end with something that tells everyone that you are done without having to tell them that you are done. 

Kind of like ending fireworks with a big finale.  "yeah, well, that's it" isn't much of a finale.  it is an anti-finale, a dribbling away to a nothing end.

NOT in formal correspondence.

• Barry

No. It's poor grammar. But if it doesn't matter to you it's fine.