Is selecting car colors while buying important?

YES YES YES YES! I had a GORGEOUS used MERCEDES that was WHIT with maroon recaro sats and BOSE inside! When it SNOWED out Side, people could NOT tell the difference between SNOW and my poor BENZ! It got hit about FIVE TIMES and smashed in by an SUV in a bank parking lot! WANT TO SUE TH EPOLICE! It was HIT and RUN and I saved the license plate of the offending driver. BLACK CARS can be hard to see aty NIGHT. SO many cars are built with shades of GRAY and SILLVER metallic! My OTHER Benz was a PEARLESCENT MAROON! IT was FLAWLESS< but got stolen and stripped by a repair shop! He had NO MONEY to sue him over and eventually appeared on HALL of SHAME in the Detroit area! WHITE CARS are just a TARGET when it snows! Wish I had put LARGE RED CROSSES on it or BULL"S Eyes, lol! OH ,WELL!

Only if you care what color your car is (some tend to show dirt worse than others) - although you may also want to consider what colors are popular or unpopular when/if you go to sell it.

I've known people to get really good deals on cars that were strange colors (green/purple/etc.) that the dealer was having trouble selling, and had to offer at a reduced price - but then they had to drive the weird colored car (although some people wouldn't care - and some might actually like it), and had difficulty selling it later.

Obviously you can always get a car painted another color - but to have it prepped and done properly (not just a couple coats of paint slapped on it) you will have to shell out a few bucks.

Some people believe that insurance companies charge more for red cars - but that's a myth - as is the idea that cops pull over red cars more frequently (it's actually white - at 19% - although red does come in second at 16%).

Color doesn't matter to me. If it matters to you, buying the color you want is usually easier than repainting.

Depends. In our hi UV, a white car fades the least. Clear coat looks Shitty, very fast.

I rented a Black Nissan, it showed Every thumbprint. Looked Good waxed but murder to keep clean.  I've heard of "arrest-me-red" but no cop will verify if it's true. Probably an old wive's tale like sludge in bottom of a fuel  tank or burning out the pump on low gas....

• F

With a new car , yes because the colour can affect the value. However, you probably won’t get back the £750+ for metallic colours when you sell, but it dies make it more saleable. 

Some cars only look right in certain colours. If you buy a Ferrari in anything other than red, you’ll lose £10k when you sell.

Aston Martins must be silver .

Subarus must be blue.

Lambos - yellow

Red cars are easily sold if it’s a women buyer, but bright pink or purple is generally hard to sell even to women.

• Bill

Yes.  We live in a warm and sunny place.  A black car with a black interior is simply too hot when it's parked in the sun.  

• Barry

Yes. The manufacturers tend to put their best selling colour on the front page of the brochure.

Of course:  some colors look clean even when they aren't:  silver and white.  Black shows every ding, dent, body repair....and grain of dust.  Red was always the worst to fade - SOME companies have better paint than others.  Bright yellow or orange are more visible so you are less likely to be hit by an idiot.  If you are in a hot climate a light color will lessen the AC load while a dark color absorbs more heat.  Some colors are always popular and every car model tends to have a "favorite" color:  those cars are worth more when you sell or trade-in, while ghastly freak colors (like pink) are hard to unload......conversely, a dealer will probably give you a better deal on an ugly color or  "mistake car"  (like sick green with a blue interior).

• Audrey

Yes. You're paying many thousands of dollars for it, you want to feel good every time you look at it!

No *.

My years in automotive sales,

During tough times, car colours reflect it. Earth colours, grey, black, metallic.

During good times, Bright Colourful, Reds, Yellows, Bright Whites or Blacks, Colour pallets .

* The colour is to impress the neighbours, it does not affect operation of the vehicle. (and, to find it in a huge car park)

Well, there is the safety factor of being seen on the highway.

I prefer White all the time, cooler, with grey interior.

The main thing for you is how the vehicle fits YOU, not the person you will sell it to.

Sit in it for an hour or two.

Get In, and Out a few dozen times.

Close your eyes, reach for the controls.

Can you operate the Windshield Wipers,

Can you operate the Headlights (main beams),

Can you operate the Hand Brake, and release it

Can you operate the Radio (aka Entertainment system),

Can you operate the Comfort Controls, (Heater, A/C.)