Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 4 weeks ago

idaho no proof insurance laws?

I got pulled over for speeding (wich is fine) but i went to load my insurance up on my phone and it needed to update and wouldnt load in time so he wrote me a fine for $130 (which i thought a no proof first time fine was only $75 in idaho). i updated my insurance the morning of the day i got pulled over (hours before i was stopped) so it hasnt fully updated and im still waiting on the verification of it from my insurance. i was still paying insurance on my old car up until i changed it over, which i can show coverage for. is it possible to get the charge disputed if i show my insurance once it updates? can i show my old insurance to prove i at least had something? will i need to go to an actual court appearance for all this? 

• Old

Bring your proof of insurance and the ticket to Traffic Court.  After you have waited for your turn the judge will look at your proof of insurance and dismiss the case.  Perhaps now you will keep a printed copy of your proof of insurance in the glovebox and not rely on unreliable gadgets.

Yes you can dispute this.  It's called traffic court, and yes it is an actual court.  Whether you meet in the prosecutor's office or attend a trial before a judge is anybody's guess, but it's all part of actual court.  Actual court is the only way to dispute a charge once it's been filed.

You will want to dispute this in person, because you don't have the written language skills to do it otherwise.  It's nice that you thought the fine was lower than it is, but that's not going to help you.

Here's the problem:  You weren't charged with driving without valid insurance, you were charged with driving without proof of valid insurance.  And since you're still waiting for verification yourself, you definitely couldn't show verification to the cop when you were stopped.  The law not only says you need to have valid insurance, it also says you have to provide proof of it when asked by police.  Technically, you're guilty of driving without proof.

If and when you dispute the charge, you'll be asking for the charge to be dismissed or reduced on compassionate grounds.  You're asking for a favour, so conduct yourself accordingly when you ask.  Don't try to hit them with proof that you were charged unfairly, because you don't have any.

Two words - EPIC FAIL. And yes, if you want to dispute it you'll need to appear in court with documentatiuon showing that you were covered AND YOUR POLICY HADN'T LAPSED. Apparently you aren't aware that the DMV MUST BE NOTIFIED  when you change insurance carriers and it's UP TO YOU  to do it. Like I said - EPIC FAIL. IGNORANCE ISN'T A LEGAL DEFENSE.

Yes, you need to attend actual court as opposed to unnatural court.

I had the same issue.  The charge in MY case was not having proof of insurance.  I was insured.  I took proof to Court with me. The charge "stuck," and I paid the fine because I couldn't prove I was insured at the time of the stop.

You do realize the Officer could have had your car towed if you couldn't prove you were insured, right?

If you go to court and show proof that you were insured at the time you were stopped there is a high chance the judge will dismiss the charge. And you pay nothing.

• Scott

Your old insurance card just proves you had insurance in the past. Once it's past the expiration date, the card is invalid. Go to court, and if you can prove you had valid insurance on the day and time you were pulled over, the charge may be dropped.

• May

All you have to do is show the Judge proof that you were insured when stopped.  You will likely still have to pay a (smaller) fine for not having proof of insurance with you when stopped.  Are you relying too much on a damn smart phone?

Have you forgotten about proof  on printed paper like we used to have way back  "years ago" ?

Tip:  For the future keep printed proof of insurance (paper) in the glove box of your car.

Yeah, court you have to go to.  Tell it to the judge.  This is the way it works, which is an inconvenience but you decided to rely on technology instead of a paper copy.

• Ron

Tell it to the judge. If you can show proof that you had coverage at the time the cop pulled you over, there is always a possibility that you can get it dismissed.  Somewhere on the ticket are instructions on what you can do for that. Smart people like me carry a piece of paper from the insurance company.