Specification : Color inkjet printer ?

Why not get a dot-matrix or color laser printer ? What is the differences between these

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Price. Money. Reliability.

• 4 weeks ago

'dot-matrix' is ancient technology - I doubt you could even get a functioning one anymore without a lot of searching.

Color laser printer is WAY better than a color inkjet - both in quality and because while toner can be expensive, ink is expensive too, and because inkjet printers suck.

Get a black/white laser printer for documents, and if you need to print  something in color go to Staples, Walgreens, or someplace - they have apps you can use to prepare and order prints, and then you just go pick them up - they will have a high-quality document center that will make much better prints, far cheaper than you can make on a home/office machine - and if the prints f**k up, you aren't out the money in ink that it wasted before f**king up.

• John
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

Color lasers are expensive (a good one starts at about $300), large (they need 4 toner cartridges each about a foot long), and give off a lot of heat when in use. They are really meant for offices. They are generally faster than inkjets and have a lower cost per page - if you print a lot. Color photos look much better on an inkjet than a laser.

https://bestinkandtoner.com/best-printer-deals

• 4 weeks ago

A Dot matrix, is loud!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Well, for one thing, dot-matrix printers don't do color.  And they are SLOW!

A color laser printer is fine, but they are more expensive initially.

• 4 weeks ago

Dot matrix uses inked fabric or waxy plastic tape and mechanical impact pins to make colored dots on the paper.  Not very pretty, noisy, slow, and few machines are still available.  Fewer yet for modern operating systems and any software for images.

Laser printers use from one to four tanks of powder for monochrome or full color images.  An image is formed by light onto electrically charged paper.  Where the light strikes, the charge is taken away.  Everywhere else, the toner powder sticks by electrostatic attraction.  A fuser oven stage makes the powder stick to the paper forever.  It doesn't wash away or smear like inkjet fluid does.  But coated paper or clear plastic overlay sheets cannot be used unless there is a higher temperature tolerance.   Process is faster than matrix, as fast as inkjet, cheaper than both.  And no clogging from infrequent use like inkjet printers.

I have 3 laser printers.  My old inkjet ones are in a junk pile.  The only one that can work after a decade of sitting has a special wet cap over the print head. I gave up on dot matrix, daisy wheel and thermo printing ones decades ago.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.