Joel asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 4 weeks ago

I got a secured credit card hoping to improve my credit score?

My credit score immediately went up 84 points as soon as the account opened. 

I’m obviously not complaining. Very happy this happened but I’m trying to understand it and I’m also concerned about using the credit card at all now. I’m 28 and have had very bad credit for most of my adult life. I have been working on improving it over the last couple of years paying off old accounts in full and making payments. I just don’t understand how the score skyrocketed 84 points just from opening a secured credit card account. It’s still a bad score 637 and I don’t know the next step I should take to continue to improve the score. Worried using the card at all will lower score drastically 

On the credit karma app the account being opened is showing up as the only Change 

Use the card every month (but DO NOT go over the limit). Review the bill when it comes and pay within terms (IN FULL every billin cycle is best).

Your score went up 84 points from something else.  Not opening it. Did you have something negative that turned 7 years old?