Amanda
Amanda asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Is 3 weeks late to send a sympathy card?

The death occurred 2 weeks ago. You found out 2 days ago but you estimate that the recipient would receive the card 3 days from now.

Even if the recipient is unaware that you found out at that particular time, not less than 2 days later?

Proper etiquette dictates that sympathy cards are ideally sent within two weeks after a death.

I'm not pretending that I just found out. FYI …I don't procrastinate for something like this.

• Daisy
    Favorite Answer

It's ok to send a sympathy card even though the death occurred a few weeks ago.

You can include a message on the inside-- "I am sorry to learn of your loss"  Or, "I am so sorry to learn of xxxx's passing."  If you knew this person personally, you can include additional messages like "He/she was always so kind to me.  He/she will be missed."

It's a kindness you're doing. It's o.k. to send the card.  

Waiting several months to send a card, that's a bit late.  

• Phil M

Pondering this shows a lack of sympathy. Send one as soon as you can. If it were you, would you rather get one late or not at all? I am sure they are not watching the calendar to see if all the cards come in on time.

As one assumes the bereft is still grieving it's not too late to acknowledge their loss. 

It is fine. Yes ideally you send it within two weeks, but you didn’t know. How could you of sent it earlier?  

You could sent a note. Actually write something, letting them know you just found out and how sorry you are for their loss

i dont think so

Mention on the card that you only just heard, before writing the rest of your condolence message.

Not at all.  There are no set rules, but the sooner the better.  I in fact dropped off a sympathy note to the family of my Dad's best friend just an hour ago.  He died a little less than 3 weeks ago.  When my brother died a few years back we got hundreds of notes and they were still coming in 4 months after he died.  You are right, some people don't even find about the loss until much later.

It's totally fine.   In fact, it's normal especially if you aren't close family.   It can take word awhile to spread.

If you've ever lost someone, you know that people are really sympathetic for about a week and then everyone forgets and life is supposed to go back to normal.   It can be really nice to receive a note of support three weeks or even three months or six months down the line especially if it's not someone you have regular contact with.

Anyone who gets ticked because a condolence card isn't sent in the first week or two is a moron.

An acceptable timeframe.

• Sandy

No, it's not too late. If you want, you could add a note that says something like, "I just recently heard about Jane's passing and want to express my condolences".

• Mog

No.