Total cholesterol - 197, LDL - 128 HDL - 33  Triglycerides - 178 How bad are these numbers for 43/m?

My doctor said my LDL, HDL, and Triglycerides should be better for my age. He recommended eating healthier and physical activity. I am sorta worried, are these numbers really bad?

Your doctor is correct. Coronary risk is based on history, physical and laboratory parameters. If risk is greater than 15% of you coming down with coronary artery disease within the next ten years based on a calculator using all of the above then you are put on statins. 

If you want to avoid statins then lose weight and exercise. Your numbers are not good. One wants HDL's above 40 at least. Your LDL/HDL ration is bad. 

Lab parameters are only a few of the markers that should be looked at along with other indicators. 

i would talk to your doctor about it

You can google search all of these things to see the "healthy" ranges.

Your triglycerides are in the middle of the "borderline high" range.

Your total cholesterol is at the upper limit.

Your bad cholesterol is at the upper limit.

Your good cholesterol is below the desired minimum.

Basically, all your numbers means that you are on a path toward problems but not bad enough to be a true issue yet.

Make changes to your diet and try taking fish oil pills twice per day.  Fish oil supplements is a natural way to help  your cholesterol levels.